1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Bum Phillips

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

For all his personality and aphorisms, Bum was a great innovator as well. Maybe only Paul Brown and Bill Walsh exceeded him in that regard. The 3-4 defense, zone blocking and the use of video over film were among the concepts he either created or popularized.

2. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Bum Phillips was once asked if the Oilers had an edge by playing Pittsburgh the Sunday after the Steelers played a Monday game. His response:

"No, but it would be if we got them after a Saturday night game."

He was not just a character but a hell of a coach. RIP Bum.

3. Colton

Colton Active Member

I always got a kick out of this one, too: "I don't mind being called 'Bum' as long as you don't put a 'Bum' in front of it.'"

RIP to a true character filled with character.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Wanna try that again?

5. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Covered several of his Oilers teams. My favorite Bum-ism, when asked why he always took his wife with him on the road games: "Cuz she's too damn ugly to kiss good-bye."

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

For our Texas friends......

Bigger legend? Bum Phillips? Tom Landry? Darrell Royal? (All gone within the past year.)

7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Landry actually died in 2000.

And I loved Bum, and I'm not a Texan, but I think you have to give Landry or Royal the edge on that.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Aw, you're right. I was thinking of Pat Summerall (who announced a lot of their games). Shame on me.

Still, an interesting question to ponder.

9. joe king

joe king Active Member

Landry and Royal in that order.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Oh shit, he not only repeated something posted earlier, he also fucked up the quote. Classic.

11. the fop

the fop Member

Bum on greatness of Shula: he can take his'n and beat your'n, and he can take your'n and beat his'n.

12. joe king

joe king Active Member

I've always heard that quote as being about Bear Bryant. Apparently, the New York Times wasn't sure who Bum was talking about, either.

From the NYT's Phillips obit:

Phillips could be generous with praise for a fellow coach. Perhaps his best-remembered line came when he saluted Bear Bryant or Don Shula — perhaps both — depending on the version cited.

“He can take his’n and beat your’n,” Phillips said. “Or he can take your’n and beat his’n.”

Draft saved Draft deleted