1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor- Valdosta, GA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1536456

Company: The Valdosta Daily Times
    Position:
    Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    November 21, 2013
    Job ID: 1536456

Description:

The Valdosta Daily Times seeks a sports editor to deliver top-notch local coverage in print, online and on mobile and social media platforms. We are need a sports editor with a take-charge attitude who will lead our sports department in covering the community in new and exciting ways. Our sports editor must have a thorough knowledge of all Valdosta sports teams and be able to communicate effectively with athletic directors to ensure coverage. It will be the responsibility of the sports editor to oversee the sports reporters, to write and assign stories, paginate pages, edit copy and to work with the newsroom management team to guide exceptional sports coverage for all platforms. This position requires evening, weekend and holiday hours and will work with management to ensure adequate coverage for the sports desk at all times. The sports editor must be familiar with photography, website management, video production and social media.

Candidates for the position will be evaluated based on a number of criteria, including prior experience and writing samples, proficiency in all aspects of newsroom management and page production, and ability to oversee a complex mix of university, high school, and youth sports coverage. Candidates are required to have a bachelor's degree in journalism or a related field with a minimum of 5 years experience in sports reporting and editing. All candidates must submit at least three writing samples with a resume and cover letter.

Valdosta-Lowndes County, Georgia has been long distinguished as the Azalea City of the South and is also known for a thriving business community, a superb educational system, affordable housing and endless opportunities for recreation, entertainment and the arts. We’re located in the heart of the Southeast, so we experience a year-round temperate climate – the perfect setting for our award-winning sports teams, our top-notch golf courses and our expanding businesses. Valdosta is a great place to get an education, launch a career and raise a family. Here you’ll find a lower- than-average cost of living and culture galore. Valdosta embraces everyone who chooses our city for career opportunities, as well as our unsurpassed quality of life.

To apply, send at least three writing samples along with your resume and cover letter to kay.harris@gaflnews.com.

2. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

This is my hometown paper.

In terms of exciting sports to cover, you could not ask much better from a local standpoint. Valdosta State is a legit top five football power and some other sports are powerful D2 wise too.

Preps wise, folks here are beyond crazy about high school football. Think of it was a carbon copy of Odessa, Texas in Friday Night Lights. So anything you put out on high school football, the masses will eat up.

Work environment-wise, if it is anything like it used to be, be prepared to find a way to do a lot with limited resources and manpower.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If it's still CNHI, it's still the same. Actually from a sports perspective it isn't even that, since VSU football is no longer a full-time travel beat.

Kay was business editor when I was there (gulp) a decade ago. She's been ME for several years now. Nice person; no idea how shed be as a boss. All the significant decisions will be made by the publisher anyway.

Oh, and just to define Valdosta's four-season climate: Hot, hell hot, hot with 900% humidity and Christmas.

4. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

Kinderlou is a fine golf course. Played it on the way to the PGA Show in Orlando last January. Broke 80, as I recall.
    I rarely run across anybody covering Valdosta State on the road except maybe in the football playoffs. Can't speak for the other VSU sports. I think this is a two-man shop, but I might be wrong. That's all I got.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Funny, leadfoot. You better slow down around there. The only thing I know of Valdosta is that the only two speeding tickets I have gotten in my life were in Lowndes County.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

CNHI is the drawback on this one but there is a lot to do.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Valdosta and Lowndes both aren't quite what they used to be in football, Valdosta in particular, but there's a reason Valdosta's stadium holds 11,000 people and it ain't because they share it with VSU.

8. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

it is rare when you don't see somebody pulled over by a state trooper when passing through valdosta on I-75. And they are always working on the frickin' interstate down there.

9. DK

DK Member

I covered a few games there when Nick Hyder was running the show. What a great super-nice guy he was, hard to believe he's been dead 17 years. And it is the hottest damn place on Earth in September.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Another potentially promising newspaper and market ruined by CNHI.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Nick Hyder was a good man. RIP

Draft saved Draft deleted