1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 8)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Panama goes ahead 2-1 in the 84th minute. El Tri is out as of now.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Not so fast. The U.S. scores.

WOW.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Wow, was just going to post the same...

4. MileHigh

WOW AGAIN.

The U.S. scores again.

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

US can hold this one over Mexico for a while...

6. MileHigh

In a span of less than two minutes, Panama goes from a playoff to out.

Mexico to the playoff.

Damn.

7. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

I am so conflicted about how I feel about this...

8. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I found myself a tad disappointed when Zusi scored, but going nuts when Johansson scored. This US team is showing some incredible stuff. Playing with an A-minus or B-plus squad, they went into Panama, which had all to play for, and scored twice in stoppage time to win. That's amazing shit. I think at this point, it's not unrealistic to think the USA can make the quarterfinals next summer.

As for Mexico ... still waiting for the Golden Era to start. Go New Zealand.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Ditto.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

These guys are fighting for a spot on the 23. Can't blame them for trying to score. Blame Panama for not being able to close two games in a row, including one at home with a chance at the World Cup on the line. Epic choke.

In the macro sense, having Mexico in the playoff increases the chances for 4 CONCACAF teams making the WC and 1 team or more making it to the knockout stage. That's better for the region's WC spots (in case Sepp and friends decide to dump the extra half or the favorable playoff matchup).

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

We should offer to host New Zealand's home leg in Columbus.

12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Translation of the Mexican TV broadcast:

"GOOOOAAAAAAL The US of A PUTS us in the playoffs!!!!!" USA!
    "It is because of the USA that we are being placed in the playoff ...BECAUSE OF THEM , NOT DUE TO YOU..NOT ANY OF YOU in the green shirts ....IT WAS THEM!!.NOT YOU!..THEY DID IT!!!!!NOT YOU! remember this forever..... KEEP THIS CLEARLY IN MIND FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIVES! You do NOTHING for the shirt, you do NOT put the effort, you have NOTplaced us in the playoffs , you HAVE NOT placed us in the WORLD CUP ..YOU WOULD NOT HAVE KEPT US ALIVE....IT WAS ESTADOS UNIDOS, NOT YOU.! .NOT YOU AND YOUR ARROGANCE/CONCEIT.....NOT YOU AND YOUR INFAMY....NOT YOU AND YOUR MORONS/PUNKS....
    "IT IS A FAILURE.....and UNDESERVED -to go through to the playoff- WE HAD NO ARGUMENTS to earn the playoffs, THE USA, WITH SUBS , WITH MANY SUBS as the visiting team shows us once again what the USA is all about ....how to play the game with dignity, how to approach the sport..MExico is a horror, just terrible....A FAILURE....
    THE USA HAS SURPASSED US ..They are better than Mexico in SOCCER ....THEY EVEN HAVE THE LUXURY OF PLAYING THEIR SUBS and KEEPING US LIVE.... I hope our coach wears the pants and resigns..He has failed as coach...."

Draft saved Draft deleted