1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football Week 6 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Yes. [/canesfanboilooser]

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Once the Dolphins moved in 1987, there just wasn't enough revenue to justify keeping the Orange Bowl intact. About all you had was 6 Hurricane games. And then, of course, the bowl game moved, too. Great memories there, just got old, like the Cotton Bowl, Astrodome or plenty of others.

I think most schools in large metro areas struggle unless the team is really, really, really good. USC might be an exception, but I read their attendance is way down this season, too.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Orange Bowl was a crumbling wreck in the 1970s, for God's sake. Its demise is not to be mourned.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Made one visit for a Miami game in 2000 and my first thought was "they played how many Super Bowls here?"

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I can't watch an Orange Bowl without thinking of Criqui and Trumpy.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Covered a game at the OB in 1996. It was falling apart then. Covered at game at Sun Life last year. It's 40 minutes from campus. There is zero atmosphere for a college game. The press box is so far from the field you have to use binoculars to see half of the plays. Not sure there will ever be momentum for Miami to build an on-campus stadium, but the Sun Life setup is certainly not ideal.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, I don't know what the best answer for UM would be. Maybe an on-campus stadium seating 40,000? But I don't see that happening any time real soon (this decade).

The thing about the Orange Bowl wasn't that the stadium was anything unique, just the number of amazing moments --- pro and college --- that took place there over the decades.

I'm really amazed at how the Rose Bowl has upgraded the stadium over the years and kept it a viable venue for football. It was built in 1922, for Pete's sake.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Helped cover Washington at UCLA in '90 or '91. Not a bad seat in the house.

9. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Andy Rooney disagreed.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2457&dat=19870128&id=JKxJAAAAIBAJ&sjid=dg4NAAAAIBAJ&pg=6474,1353926

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know, I think they all kind of stink - the ones that are close to the field are too low - the ones high enough where you can see anything are too far away.
    Granted - it is an old stadium built without the last 100 years of engineering and technology innovations.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's amazing to me how well college football stadiums age, and how schools are constantly able to upgrade them to keep them fresh.
    The youngest stadium in the SEC is Kentucky, which was built in 1973. All the others opened before 1940. A couple are approaching their 100th birthday within the next decade.
    When Minnesota's new stadium opened, it was the first new one built in the Big Ten in 50 years.
    It's really remarkable, especially compared to the 30-year life cycle of most pro stadiums.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Miami may build its own stadium at some point but it will never have an on-campus stadium because there's no way in hell Coral Gables will let them build one within its city limits.

Draft saved Draft deleted