1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

49ers send Aldon Smith to rehab UPDATE detained for reported LAX bomb threat

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: 49ers send Aldon Smith to rehab

Yeah, as much as I've appreciated the turnaround job that Harbaugh has done with the 49ers there have definitely been several times where I want to tell him just to take the high road for once and shut the fuck up.

2. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Harbaugh aside, a team voluntarily gets a player to go to rehab and are still paying him while he misses at least one game. That is something the 49ers should be commended for. I don't know there are many other teams that would do that with an All-Pro.

For the record he is NOT suspended. The reason it came after the game could very well be they told him he goes to rehab voluntarily or they suspend him. Takes time to convince a player and ultimatum presented after game. Shouldn't have played but there could be reasons behind it.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If he only misses one game, then the whole "rehab" is a joke.

If they want him to begin a path of recovery, they'll insist on a 30-day inpatient program.

4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that with the CBA, the team could not have suspended him - suspensions need to come from the NFL. And I don't think they have any choice about paying him/not paying him while he is in rehab. As long as the league hasn't suspended him, he gets paid.

It appears Harbaugh and the team had 4 choices of how to deal with him this week.

1. Keep him active and play him.
    2. Make him inactive.
    3. Keep him active and not play him.
    4. Release him (and pay his entire 2013 salary, at least until another team picks him up)

Nos. 3 and 4 were never going to happen. So the argument is whether they should have done No. 1, which they did, or should have done No. 2. I'd expect almost every coach in the NFL to make the same decision Harbaugh did.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Micheal Irvin said that Aldon Smith asking for help was "courageous". And Deion Sanders agreed with him.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

And Phil Simms on air praised the 49ers for being proactive, as Smith played every snap.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He's cant be suspended so what the hell should they be commended for?

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Getting him into rehab was a last-minute panic reaction to the shitstorm of criticism they took initially. There is nothing to be commended about it.

9. Mizzougrad96

I'm not sure how much praise is deserved here. I get the sense the 49ers were shamed into doing this. On the pregame shows you heard a couple former coaches say that they wouldn't have played Smith under any circumstances.

I'll sound incredibly cynical here, but it also shifts the attention away from what happened on the field yesterday.

10. Mizzougrad96

Beat me to it... Completely agree...

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

So we're going to talk about this procedural note instead of how big an egg that overrated team laid yesterday, only slightly less big than the egg they laid last week.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I would think yesterday was worse considering they were at home and coming off a huge loss to a division opponent.

Draft saved Draft deleted