1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 8)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Di Canio out. Who would have thought that it would have ended poorly?

Let's hope that the next manager plays Jozy.

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Yeah, early perhaps, but I think everyone could see that one coming...

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

When they write the history of the Premier League, Di Canio might be ranked No. 1 loon as a manager and player.

Those with long EPL memories will recall his eccentricities at West Ham and Sheffield Wednesday in the 90s. Back then, at least, he could mitigate his insanity with some sublime play and goal-scoring.

Including what many consider the greatest goal ever scored in EPL history.

4. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

PBS is producing a documentary on Bob Bradley and the Pharaohs which will air prior to the 2014 World Cup.

[quote from press release which just landed in my inbox]
    ARLINGTON, VA; SEPTEMBER 26, 2013 -- PBS today announced it will air the one-hour documentary AMERICAN PHARAOH, which goes behind the scenes with the Egyptian national soccer team — the “Pharaohs” — and its American coach, Bob Bradley. Scheduled to premiere in 2014, prior to the FIFA World Cup in June in Brazil, the film by Egyptian filmmaker Hossam Aboul-Magd follows the team’s efforts to qualify for soccer’s ultimate event for the first time in more than 20 years. In production for more than two years, with scenes still being shot, the film sets the soccer team’s challenge to succeed against the backdrop of the incredible turmoil in Egypt today.

“This is not just a film about soccer,” says Aboul-Magd. “This is about my country, my team, a coach I respect and the dream of capturing the World Cup in spite of enormous challenges. I see the goal of developing a strong team, in the middle of a revolution, as a metaphor for the rebuilding of Egypt.”

“When Hossam approached PBS with this idea, we were immediately on board,” says Bill Gardner, Senior Director, Programming, PBS. “This film not only tells a compelling story, but also provides a unique window into Egyptians’ ongoing struggle to define themselves during a time of national unrest. The journey of the Pharaohs on the road to the World Cup with the perspective of their American coach make this a truly unusual and intimate film.”

After a successful run as coach of the U.S. men’s national soccer team, reaching the second round in the 2010 World Cup, Bradley signed on to coach the Egyptian team in September 2011. Faced with ongoing violence and political strife within the country, the team must remain united and work together to reach their ambitious goal.

“Making it to the World Cup will not solve the lack of education and poverty in Egypt, but it would be a great symbol for the country,” says Bradley.

AMERICAN PHARAOH follows Bradley — only the third American coach to manage a foreign team — his wife, Lindsay, his staff and his players. In gaining access to the training camps and providing in-depth coverage of the Pharaohs’ games in Africa, the filmmakers document the team’s personal and professional struggles to keep their eyes on the prize of getting to the World Cup while living in and representing a country in turmoil.
    [/quote]

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Congrats to D.C. United, the Wigan Athletic of the 100th U.S. Open Cup. :)

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Too bad for Ben Olsen he won't be around to coach in the CCL.

7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Very true, sort of similar to Roberto Martinez, but at least he left on his own.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Qatar World Cup to winter decision now not expected until 2015.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/fifa-agrees-set-qatar-world-cup-task-force-20468898

9. Inky_Wretch

Page 3? Man, we've been slacking with the soccer talk. Perhaps tonight's Jamaica v. USMNT match will fix that.

Also, I enjoyed this bit on Deadspin about England.

http://deadspin.com/english-soccer-is-dead-and-it-deserves-to-be-1443060637

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Ugly first half for the Nats. Landon and Jozy look like they are on cough medicine

11. Inky_Wretch

Man, the last 20 minutes has been electric for the USMNT.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And that clinches the group.

And with Honduras winning, absolute must win for El Tri in an hour.

Draft saved Draft deleted