1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MUSIC THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, May 4, 2006.

1. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Arcade Fire debuts first single (with an uncredited David Bowie) with an interactive video. You need Chrome as a browser.

JustAReflektor.com

Pretty cool.

Sounds like Arcade Fire has gone more electric. Not surprising given James Murphy's fingerprints being all over the album. I read somewhere it's venturing more into Talking Heads territory.

Will be interesting to see how the whole album plays out.

2. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Isbell's new album is the best one I've heard in a very long time. Talk about raw emotion. Saw him on tour in Lexington, and he just tore it up. Played for nearly 2 hours with about 3 minute break before encore.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

New album by the Tedeschi Trucks Band, Made Up Mind, has been on my iPod nonstop since its release. Just great stuff that really builds on what they started with Revelator. Huge Trucks fan and I have seen him twice this year with the Allmans, very excited to hear that Derek and Susan are bringing their own band up here to Canuckistan.

Another smoking hot new release for slide guitar fans is Lickity Split by Robert Randolph. Great guest turns from Carlos Santana and Trombone Shorty.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Thanks to this thread (and some of you guys on FB) I've just listed to Jason Isbell for the first time. Hooked.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The new Arcade Fire song is awesome.

Best way I can describe it is like a mash-up of "Emotional Rescue" and "Enjoy the Silence" over a relentless disco beat. Hope there is a radio edit so AF can have a mainstream breakthrough.

The word is it'll be a double album, but only 13 songs. Therefore, lots of extended tracks like Reflektor.

The director of Big Day Out said last month AF wants to do a stadium tour of North America and no festivals, but we'll see. It's just about mandatory that they play Coachella.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm not sure that's a good thing for Arcade Fire. They've never been lean or anything, but I think Neon Bible probably was the worst of their three albums, and the reason was because a lot of it felt bloated and overdone. Maybe if they cut back on the extravagance in the production, this will work well.

7. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

It's very good. It's not Sprawl II, but that's a pretty high bar to try to reach.

8. Football_Bat

Today is the 10th anniversary of Johnny Cash's death. I can't believe it's been that long ago already.

9. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Superchunk's "I Hate Music"

So much fun. It's hard to believe they've put out Majesty Shredding and this after about 10 years off.

10. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Apparently, after SNL's season premiere, NBC is going to run some kind of an AF "concert" special (from the band's forum). No official hint of what it is - my guess is it'll be their past appearances on the show. Wonder if NBC is doing that this season for musical guests who've made multiple appearances.

11. Writer33

Writer33 Member

I really like The Neighbourhood's "Afraid." At the other end of the spectrum, I saw Stevie Nicks and Lady Antebellum on Crossroads do "Golden" and was blown away.

12. Football_Bat

Cheer up, Emo kids. The Rolling Stones, KISS and Rod Stewart all released disco singles. And Billy Joel did a New Wave record. All is not lost.

Draft saved Draft deleted