1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 8)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 2, 2013.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

It's a team a lot of people are high on because Mexico wins FIFA kiddie tournaments and Mexican youth clubs do well at the Dallas Cup. I even recall Mexico's first WC qualifier this time around, people were gushing about their win over Belize. Final score: 3-1.

You don't go 1-2-5 by accident. Ever since Mexico tied Jamaica at Azteca, I've held a firm belief that they were in danger of not qualifying. And even if Mexico finishes fourth, how can ANYONE be confident of them winning a two-leg playoff with New Zealand?

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Head of FIFA's medical board says 2022 World Cup must shift from summer to winter to protect fans. http://t.co/WXMC8tuf0h

3. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Or, of course, FIFA could go with the other obvious option and change the host country. What a joke.

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Haha, if only...that would mean ol' Sepp would have to admit that FIFA made a colossal mistake, which ain't happening...

5. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Awful Announcing made a good point that Fox Sports and/or other rightholders are probably going to sue FIFA if they move the World Cup from summer.

I think it's all a big tease that will change quickly once Sepp goes away.

6. Inky_Wretch

Yeah, I'm sure there'd have to be major restructuring of TV contracts. "Wait, these matches are on against the NFL!?! Yeah, we need a rebate."

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Not just a rebate. A full refund.

Complete joke.

Move it to the U.S. (which finished second in the, um, voting), or somewhere in Europe.

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Match-fixing kingpin Dan Tan was arrested in Singapore today. Huge deal.

9. Inky_Wretch

UEFA is OK with a winter World Cup.

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/worldcup/story/european-countries-vote-for-2022-winter-world-cup-in-qatar-091913

10. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Of cour$e they are

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

UEFA wants in January. Premier League wants it in November-December.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Guzan was beast today getting a clean sheet for Villa. Penalty save, acrobatic tip of point blank sort of shot and total command of his area on crosses.

Draft saved Draft deleted