1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maybe this is the way Whitlock should have gone

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Excellent observations.
    I think the bottom line on the criticism of the story is something Thayer Evans may have to address. A big portion of Whitlock's radio criticism is the assertion Evans is an OU homer. I also read Weeden saying Evans once asked him a question about "Chokie State" or something like that. If it is true Evans is an OU homer and has ridiculed Oklahoma State before for the sole reason that he is an OU fan ... then SI should have put additional reporters on the story. I'm just going by what Whitlock said. I have no knowledge of any of this. But can you all agree with me ... If Evans is an OU fanboy/OSU hater and that's a big IF at this stage, he should not have been put on this story or there should have been additional writers to avoid this backlash. You have to admit, Jason Whitlock is a STAR in this business. And if he thinks it's a problem that Evans (in Jason's words) is an OU homer ... then SI should have known it would cast doubt on his story. Am I right on this???

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Evans didn't write a word in the story, Frederick. George Dohrmann did all the writing. Evans did a chunk of the reporting because he is based in Texas and that is where a lot of the sources they talked to were.

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Are George Dohrmann and Melissa Segura chopped liver?

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

If I weren't a Jeff Pearlman fan before ...

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Dohrmann and Segura are not getting any of the post-article backlash. Do a search on Twitter on Thayer Evans and you see the source of all the controversy. Jason Whitlock who is one of THE BIGGEST NAMES in journalism did a whole radio show disparaging Evans with one of the main issues his being an OU homer. I would think Evans might address this. If it is true, I would think SI would have had a team of 10 or more reporters on this to avoid the backlash.

6. Big_Space

Big_Space Member

SI saved the worst for last. The 'Sex' chapter is an abomination.

I don't understand how some of you are defending this.

7. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Agreed. Wonder if Whitlock will read that one.

8. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Uh, it's not last. It's a five-part series.

9. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

Pearlman FTW, on so many levels.

But as much as anything else, for this:

Yes. Yes. A thousand times yes.

10. Big_Space

Big_Space Member

More bad Thayer

http://www.thewareaglereader.com/2013/09/matters-of-conscience-v-matters-of-law-auburn-professor-john-carvalho-on-thayer-evans-journalism/#.UjRyPsZjuo9

Yeah, maybe Thayer should not try to explain his reporting method

http://thebiglead.com/2013/09/13/thayer-evans-went-through-two-pairs-of-cowboy-boots-while-reporting-oklahoma-state-story/

11. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

That boots things is so hilarious. Yes, he was walking across the plains of Oklahoma, searching for answers, wearing holes in his boots like a character in a Steinbeck novel.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Not easy to plod across the red country.

Draft saved Draft deleted