1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear AP ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Justin_Rice, Aug 12, 2012.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

We got caps and the usual array of gamers last night.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Dear AP - Nadal's match at the US Open has been over for an hour. It's ok to send a story that has the score in it.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Here's the lede of the AP story on President Obama's speech tonight:

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Not one picture of Eddie Johnson's goal from tonight's World Cup qualifier. Thanks AP. I have to redo my cover at 10:17 p.m.

5. noodles

noodles Member

Tigers-White Sox game ends at 11 p.m. eastern time

Now 11:40 p.m. - 10 minutes to deadline - and not even as much as a blurb on the game.

Bums

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

It was on AP Exchange at 11:35...but since our deadline is 11:30, we were late. THANKS AP! Game box was sent at 11:07. WTF?!

7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I've noticed some different bylines from the South Side for that series. Maybe dealing with a stringer who isn't as good at the drill?

Then again, it seems like AP has been giving bylines to stringers more often lately. Maybe that's just me.

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Could be a part-timer desker as well getting a shot, my PTer at my last paper was a AP PTer as well and I see his byline run for stuff every once in a while now.

9. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Am I the only one who looks at MLB at a glance and notices that AP doesn't even have the scores and upcoming games for 12 of the teams who are playing?

I know there are hundreds of sources to check for scores and schedules, but sheesh, how can the AP not get all the games listed?

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The top story on the AP sports budget today is about Labradoodles. Are you kidding me? [/johnmcenroe]

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I wanted a Sochi Olympic opening ceremonies story, instead AP delivers a 40-inch monster rehash with too much politics and blah blah blah. I used an MCT story that was mainly about, you know, the actual opening ceremonies.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Our paper dropped AP on Jan. 1, but as bad as AP is, MCT is inferior.

We don't get art from games we expect to get art from, the gamers we get are often briefs that don't fit the hole (we've adjusted to this), and we miss a lot of state coverage.

Draft saved Draft deleted