1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

News/sports reporter -- AP in Oklahoma City

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Sep 6, 2013.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

The Associated Press seeks an experienced Newsperson/Sports Reporter in Oklahoma City.

Responsibilities include covering the Oklahoma City Thunder, one of the NBA’s top teams; the sports programs at two high-profile universities in Oklahoma and Oklahoma State; the annual Women’s College World Series and other events and programs. It’s a busy, exciting job and we want someone with a track record of building reliable sources, breaking news, writing accurate and compelling copy on deadline, and delivering smart enterprise that shows ownership of a beat, team or sport. This is a position that requires speed without sacrificing quality, excellent planning skills, an eagerness to collaborate with colleagues and the ability to juggle multiple beats and assignments. While the reporter will primarily work in text, the successful candidate should be familiar with the demand for content in multiple formats (photos, video, audio) and can work with his or her colleagues to deliver it.

The successful candidate will:

identify and develop stories that break news, have impact and are exclusive to the AP.
    report and produce compelling enterprise for state, national and global audiences.
    execute those stories in all formats, in a timely fashion under deadline pressure.
    report and produce content on deadline in competitive situations.
    use social media tools in the work of reporting and engaging with readers.
    experience reporting on professional sports teams is a plus.

Qualifications:

Candidates should have demonstrated excellence as a beat reporter, and have a proven record of developing sources, breaking news, originating story ideas and writing on deadline in a clear and engaging way. Applicants should understand the growing importance of multimedia news and be able to coordinate with AP staffers from other formats. The successful candidate should have at least three years of full-time, daily sports reporting experience outside of school.

Other qualifications:

Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
    Authorization to work in the U.S. will be mandatory.
    Advanced-level professional competency in written and spoken English language.
    Strong organizational skills with the ability to juggle multiple projects across formats and meet deadlines.
    The ability to work nights and weekends, and to travel to various sports assignments.
    A willingness and ability to help cover general news in Oklahoma in rare circumstances.

Advanced-level professional competency in written and spoken English language is required. Authorization to work in the United States for any employer is mandatory.

The Associated Press is the essential global news network, delivering fast, unbiased news from every corner of the world to all media platforms and formats. Founded in 1846, AP today is the most trusted source of independent news and information. On any given day, more than half the world's population sees news from AP.

AP seeks to build an inclusive organization grounded in respect for differences. We support all aspects of diversity and provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability or status as a veteran in accordance with applicable nondiscrimination laws.

http://ch.tbe.taleo.net/CH09/ats/careers/requisition.jsp;jsessionid=30A2D49BF95220B939FC2186580C1A31.NA10_primary_jvm?org=AP&cws=1&rid=2893

2. Mr. Costello

Mr. Costello New Member

Jeff Latzke went into PR, I think. Bummer if you used wire for Thunder stuff. Latzke was lightning.

3. Thunder, lightning ... I see what you did there.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

All of a sudden I wanna sing a little Chi Coltrane. (Sorry for the obscure 1970s reference.) This sounds like a pretty damn good job.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

The way you love me is frightening.

6. sprtswrtr10

sprtswrtr10 Member

Advice sought:

I'm the sports editor of a Big 12 hometown daily.
    Should I be interested in this job. Pretty sure it pays more. Maybe significantly more.
    I'm even pretty sure I'd get some consideration. Anyway, I think so.
    I know the job can be all consuming.
    Then again, the job I have is already pretty all consuming.
    Where I am now, I write a lot of columns, which I enjoy.
    There, I think, not only am I done with columns (right? once a week, maybe?) but I'm also done having the fun I like to have with everything else I write. Think I might have to clip my wings. So, just curious, if anybody has any good on this conundrum.

Thanks

7. Ibot1947

Ibot1947 New Member

If you are looking for affirmation, you already got it in your own response. Sounds like this is not the job for you. This is the kind of job with such an intense workload, that unless you are 100 percent certain you want it, you should not apply. Good luck with your decision.

8. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

I would tend to agree with Ibot. It sounds like you're in kind of a comfort zone as it is, where you're able to do your own thing and put your own brand on things for an established audience. While the AP gig might pay more, are you willing to give that up to do news and sports?

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

A Big 12 hometown daily can be anything from Austin, Texas to Manhattan, Kansas or Ames, Iowa.

10. CM 75

CM 75 New Member

This has been filled by former Indiana AP writer, Cliff Brunt

http://m.chron.com/sports/article/Cliff-Brunt-appointed-AP-sports-writer-in-Oklahoma-5048867.php

11. Gold

Gold Active Member

There may be Thunder, but everybody knows the Lightening are in Tampa Bay.

12. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

So are the Lightning.

Draft saved Draft deleted