1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ.com NFL survival game (playoffs)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Vombatus, Sep 2, 2013.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Re: 2013 SportsJournalists.com NFL survival game (Deadline for first pick is Thursday 8:30 EDT)

This is a fantastic idea, meat.
    Sign me up.

2. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Re: 2013 SportsJournalists.com NFL survival game (Deadline for first pick is Thursday 8:30 EDT)

I've been checking the board for a few weeks looking for a survival league and I missed it. Dammit!

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

fj, see if you can still join the yahoo league this AM and post your first week pick here (can't be Denver though). I have the league set up allowing for three strikes, and on yahoo you will get a strike for week one, but if you join this morning, you can at least see if you can go 16-0 the rest of the way.

Group # : 24190
    Password: yowza

I am not sure if it will let you join, but it might.

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Bills and Raiders almost knocked us all out, but Pats and Colts kept it interesting.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Fucking Tampa.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There was a stretch yesterday where the Jets, Raiders and Bills all looked like they might win. I'm guessing that would have knocked out the bulk of us.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Right, because there's tons of strategy involved in survivor pools. Part of the reason these things are so popular is because what seems like such a simple task (picking one winner a week) is more difficult than most think.

Just ask those who picked the Bucs.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Who'd you pick in your knockout pool?

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Just realized this particular pool has a "three strikes" rule.
    We live!

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Re: 2013 SportsJournalists.com NFL survival game (Deadline for second week is Thursday 8:30 EDT)

Reminder: Deadline for this week is again Thursday at 830 PM EDT and will always be Thursdays through week 15.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Re: 2013 SportsJournalists.com NFL survival game (Deadline for second week is Thursday 8:30 EDT)

Kinda what I figured. You often remind me of a line from Rounders. "You see all the angles, but never have the stones to play one." Not literally, of course, but still fitting.

And strategies vary, especially depending on how long you've played in these pools. Some like to pick what would seem to be sure things at first just to stay alive. Others are willing to risk a little more by taking what might seem to be iffy picks early and save the "sure things" for later. All depends on how the schedule breaks, too.

I stayed alive in two of my three knockout pools with Indy and KC. Lost with Tampa, as did a lot of others, it seems. Week 2 could be tough. Baltimore, Houston, and Philly are the only ones that jump off the schedule immediately. Maybe Atlanta.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Nope. The goal is to get to "late." Survive and advance, baby.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted