1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 MLB Regular Season running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Class act Dusty Baker, 64, giggling like a school girl at the whole episode.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've known Trent for years and consider him a friend. I think he handled himself well. Dusty acted like a dipshit and Phillips is a fucking tool.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Trent's comeback -- “Wow, took you how many years? Congratulations." -- after Phillips said he learned of his Twitter account is marvelous.

4. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, I thought he handled himself incredibly well.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm sure sycophant Reds fans, many of whom are close friends of mine, will tell me how Rosencrans "deserved" what he got. No one deserves that. You can be pissed at someone and act like a civilized human being. By laughing while that was going on, Dusty Baker revealed himself as no less of a coward than any teen-age follower in America who laughs while someone is getting picked on. Utter cowardice. Barring a swift and sincere apology, it will be my lasting memory of him.

6. Mizzougrad96

I prefer my memory of Dusty to be when he shit the bed against the Giants in the playoffs, but that's just me...

I'm glad Trent didn't just sit there and take it. Sometimes it's so easy to just say, "Fuck you..." but in this day and age you can't do that...

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

In Dusty's defense, the only reason he acted like a dipshit is because he is a dipshit.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Orioles not given up yet. They've claimed Mike Morse off waivers from Seattle and are reportedly working on a deal for Josh Willingham:

www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/08/orioles-claim-mike-morse-off-waivers

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-place-waiver-claim-on-twins-josh-willingham-source-says-20130828,0,6314894.story

9. Mizzougrad96

So true...

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And it's completely unsurprising that he did nothing to stop Phillips either. He pretty much let the inmates run the asylum when he was in Chicago too.

In 2004, Kent Mercker called the TV booth from the bullpen during a game to jump Steve Stone for being too critical of the team and later confronted him in a hotel lobby during a road trip. Mercker and Moises Alou also tried to have Stone & Chip Caray banned from a team flight. Stone wound up quitting at the end of the season.

The only good thing about that whole deal was that Chip left too.

11. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

Tigers down 6-1 to the A's after five, Cabrera leaves the game with his 792nd aggravation of his not-a-sports-hernia, and Scherzer has hit the showers with his chance at 20-1 all but dead. Athletics are about to sweep the four-game series, lighting up all four guys in Detroit's highly vaunted postseason rotation for a 8.55 ERA. Extremely emotional fanbase is about to shoot themselves.

Ninety minutes later, they score four in the ninth off Balfour, with Torii Hunter hitting a three-run walkoff. Leyland's pumping his fist on the field, Scherzer has another shot at Clemens, Cabrera says he's fine, and all is right with the world in Detro... well, no, let's not go that far.

They still don't want any part of Oakland in the postseason, even after Magglio in 2006 and Verlander in 2012, but it is amazing how a mood can change over four innings of a game in August.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

See, I knew Scherzer could pitch winning baseball.

Draft saved Draft deleted