1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breaking Bad Season 5 Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Jun 4, 2012.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

According to Wikipedia, Cranston had a turn on X-Files that sold Gilligan on him. I also think network execs are morons who have zero imagination.

You think about the actors who shuffled around (Gandolfini, Hilary Swank, Sally Field) before they hit it big.

2. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

Yeah, got that wrong. It's even better the way he said it.

3. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

I interviewed Vince for a magazine feature last year and he rattled off some of the names the AMC suits wanted instead of Cranston. I wish I could remember who he mentioned ... damn senior moment. I do remember some of them were fairly ludicrous, even in hindsight.

He also talked at length about how nobody would touch the show at first -- even HBO was dismissive of the entire concept -- and how he started to wonder if maybe it wasn't as good an idea as he had convinced himself it was.

Wonder how many shit sandwiches have been consumed by the HBO execs who made that call?

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

You sure it wasn't this that sold him?

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Gag reel from Breaking Bad season 5

The Hannibal one - considering the show's darkness - is pretty classic.

6. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

Over the past four weeks, starting with the pilot, I watched every episode of Breaking Bad. I had heard it was excellent but never watched it.

I was hooked from the start and enjoyed devouring multiple episodes per day ever since. I wanted to be caught up before Season 5, Part II began but I didn't make it.

Now, after watching the end of Season 5, Part I and the last two episodes last night, I feel a void. I have to wait for the next one like everyone else. That's the drawback to being caught up.

Oh well. I have a new addition among my all-time top TV shows. The most surprising aspect of this show has been the many laugh-out-loud moments. I had no idea of the comedic value. Thank you A&E.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I think you mean AMC.

8. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

Doh! Yes, AMC.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Well, it seems Jesse has finally turned for real on Walt.

Great episode. All the Jesse scenes were top-notch, plus the "confession" and the Mexican restaurant awkwardness.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Two quick thoughts:

1) Anyone else get a distinct "Reservoir Dogs" vibe off the opening scene with Todd, Jack and the other guy? Todd's story was like a cross between Mr. Orange's fake bus station bathroom story and the famous diner scene.
    Also wonder if that waitress finished her shift alive. That closing shot of a seemingly empty diner was spooky, plus what was the deal with the blood on Uncle Jack's shoe in the bathroom? Thought it might be blabbermouth Todd's for a second.

2) During the scene in the desert, I kept waiting for Walt to just kill Jesse. Even during their hug, I was expecting him to put a knife (or a box cutter) in Jesse's back.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

What triggered Jesse figuring it out? He was checking his pockets, holding the cigs, and then the light went on.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

He realized Huell lifted the pot from his pocket, which made him realize that Huell had also lifted his cigarettes (a suspicion he had originally) when Brock was poisoned -- which, in turn, made him connect the dots to Walt and Saul being in cahoots on that plot.

Draft saved Draft deleted