1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Very ugly day at CBSSports.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 23, 2013.

1. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/97119/

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

While under the CBSSports.com umbrella, it's separate from the main CBS site, which is based in Fort Lauderdale and this one is in Carlsbad.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

More today, I'm told. Two of the bigger names - not spilling them until I learn a little more.
    Every single day, it seems, this business provides us with a swift kick in the pills.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

This, obviously, is sad for the industry and for all those involved, but you guys must be talking about a different cbssports.com than what comes up on my laptop.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I have no idea if they were in that salary range. Scott Miller and Danny Knobler were let go today. I am biased, I fully admit that. But these two are very good guys and very good at what they do.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

As we've learned, it doesn't matter how good or liked you are. Everyone is just a number.

7. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

That's two of their biggest baseball names... Very sad way of doing business if you ask me. But nothing surprises me anymore.

8. Scott Miller has to be pushing 20-plus years with CBS. He's one of the first newspaper guys I remember leaving his paper to go to the new-fangled internet. It's funny -- last time I saw him I told him what a great decision he made. Great guy who does an excellent job. Danny, too. This just sucks.

9. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Scott and Danny are terrific writers and terrific people. Makes you wonder if the national sites will evolve (dissolve?) into nothing more than trafficking in rumors, since that apparently is what drives the clicks.

10. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

If you've ever been to the official athletics websites for Tulane, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Alabama, Florida State and a lot of others, you've been to a CBSSports College Network affiliate website, all under the CBS Interactive umbrella.

They've lost some clients in recent years, including Oregon State, to NeuLion, which has some pretty big clients, including LSU, Oregon and Michigan.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Excellent baseball writers. Two of my go-to reads. Makes zero sense to me for any site that wants to continue to be relevant in its MLB coverage.

Having a good thought for Scott and Danny to land on their feet. If that's as MLB writers elsewhere, I'll seek them out there and be done with CBSSports.com coverage.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This sucks. Two terrific baseball writers let go for what can't possibly be real financial reasons. The catering for "2 Broke Girls" is more per week than they earned per year. Just proof that ESPN isn't the only outfit operating on the principle "if we don't have the broadcast rights, this sport doesn't exist."

Draft saved Draft deleted