1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The most annoying writing convention in the world is, well, well.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rusty Shackleford, Aug 16, 2013.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I see more crafterbation and gratification of ever-needy CJ, on that link.
    Not much on editing.

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

3. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

"Well" is not only an annoying writing convention, it is equally bad as a verbal tic. You get certain players and coaches who start 90% of their answers with "Well," and once you notice, it drives you insane. I know that it gives them a chance to think before answering, but they can't stop.

"Coach, is Billy Bob going to be ready for Saturday's big game against Crosstown High?" "Well ... no, he's dead." "Oh my! What was the cause of death?" "Well ... I think you can say it was an upper-body injury. Well, actually ... well ... I guess they can't game plan for him, so, well, the fact is that his head came off during that big hit last week."

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

He had believed "well" was the most annoying writing convention in the world but would change his mind after another was brought to his attention later.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Reformer story today: http://www.reformer.com/ci_23900865/gilbert-flag-stolen-from-memorial-possibly-burned

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Writing conventions. Not verbatim quotes.

People talk like that, and you can't avoid it.
    So it's one reason you avoid writing that way.

7. Songbird

And piss can be, well, liquid gold!

(Cool article)

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/science/2013/08/from-gunpowder-to-teeth-whitener-the-science-behind-historic-uses-of-urine/

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

As mentioned on another thread, splitting quotes for added effect is another annoying writing convention.

"That," I said, "bugs me to no end."

Don't pause a quote unless the speaker pauses the quote.

9. Songbird

My quibble with Pearlman's Bell story is about that -- he split too many short quotes in the top half of the story.

Draft saved Draft deleted