1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Biggest LOOSER -- running weight loss thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Great work, Webster!

My wife the other day commented that she thinks it's tougher to keep weight off in the summer than at the holidays. I think there could be something to that. So many barbeques. So many beers on the porch or at the grill. Lots of hidden calories in the summer.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

It's opposite for me. In the summer I'm out more, riding my bike a lot. In the winter I'm much more sedentary since I'm just not a gym person.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Haven't checked in for a while. Down to 213 +/- which is territory I have not seen in more than 30 years.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Well done!

5. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Since my PT test in April, got a little fat (up to 226 from 210-ish range) and have lost about 6-7 of those pounds back with better food choices and drinking more water and less soft drinks. Working out more when I have time as well....

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Great work.

Went away with Mrs. W for a long weekend and I had a bad eating few days -- we had a breakfast buffet as part of the deal for our room and there weren't enough healthy options (nor did I seek them out). Took a lot of willpower to get right this week, but I've done a passable job.

Going away for a week with family later this month is going to be a challange. Breakfasts are hard in a hotel and eating a salad for lunch when you are on the go (especially in kid friendly places) is tough as well.

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

haven't been around here much lately but here's a bit of encouragement for fellow middle-agers. was heading dangerously close to 400 pounds (went back and looked and the highest i know was 385 and i'm sure i got heavier but quit bothering to even step on a scale) a year and a half ago with type 2 diabetes, out-of-control blood pressure and wearing either 52 or 54 pants. i'm down to 258 pounds, have seen body fat plummet from the mid 40s to closer to 25 percent, no diabetes, blood pressure problems gone and i wear a size 38 pants thanks first to changing my eating habits on my own and now working with a personal trainer 3 times a week (plus cardio on my own twice a week). my initial goal was 225 pounds but my trainer says that's unrealistic considering my height (6-6) and the added muscle. if i can do it, anyone can do it. keep up the good work everyone.

8. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Heck, even getting to 260 based on where you were is incredible. You literally lost over a third of your previous body weight, maybe as much as 40 percent. That's to be commended. Even at 260, on a 6-6 frame, I'm sure you look great. Well done, sir.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Wow. That is incredible.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'm down to a legit 209 after 24 weeks on the Gary Taubes low-carb approach.
    Not sure I've weighed less than 210 since 1981 or so.

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

too funny. my photo is going up on the success stories wall at the 24-hour fitness where i work out. while i'd rather get a jarod from subway deal, i'll take the couple of free personal trainer sessions.

12. Any links to a good beginner to moderate free weight workout schedule?
    I want to add weight training to my run schedule. I got some free weights and want to find a good weekly schedule. I am looking to tone more than build muscle.

Draft saved Draft deleted