1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PGA Championship

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Aug 7, 2013.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Rory McIlroy -- remember him? -- shows signs of life. Birdies 17 and 18 for a 67 to get to 3 under for the week and in the mix with the leaders backing up.

And not just any birdies, either. He dropped a 50-foot bomb of a putt on 17 and chipped in from the fringe on 18.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I laid 3-to-1 odds with a guy in my office at the start of the season that Rory wouldn't win a major in 2013. May have to sweat it out a bit tomorrow.

Vegas will build another hotel with all the Tiger bets this week. Watch him now sweep the FedExCup Playoffs for the most miserable nine-win season in golf history.

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Two Tweets from the great Dan Jenkins:

"Nobody can make me understand how a golfer who hasn't won a major in five years can be No. 1 in any kind of golf ranking."

"Tiger guru stat: Butch 8 years—8 majors, Hank 6 years—6 majors, Foley 3 years—0 majors. But he's right where he wants to be."

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

The old timer's know Tiger's fulla' shit. Fine by me. Sink with Foley and don't win another major.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Age, injury and a thanksgiving 9 iron have nothing to do with it either.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Adam Scott with a brilliant shot -- drives the green at 14 and gives himself a very makeable putt for eagle.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I kind of like that electronic red line that tracks the shots, but when Scott and Dufner teed of at the par-3 15th, the red line followed the divot instead of the shot.

8. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Watch Furyk fall apart down the stretch is going to be difficult to stomach. But it's happening. #rydercup #usopen #firestone

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Good lines by Dan Jenkins. Too bad he can't aim that wit at his daughter's hypocrisy.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/tiger-woods-keeps-plodding-along-in-a-state-of-denial/2013/08/09/ca303d8c-0137-11e3-9a3e-916de805f65d_story.html

Headline: "Tiger Woods keeps plodding along in a state of denial"

Not an encouraging tone for Tiger, but her fraud buddy and financial bagman Lance Armstrong is an inspiration? Got it.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I noticed that, too ... and thought of shots I've hit where the divot went farther than the ball.

As far as Sunday's round: boy, I'd love to see Rory stay hot and post another low number.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It might be Stenson's time to finally break through, and I keep waiting for Stricker to post a low number and get a major.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

As much as I'd like to see Dufner pull this off -- I love his ultra-laid-back, near slacker vibe -- I don't see it. He actually looked rattled late in the round, especially when he dropped his club and then threw it after his poor drive on 18. He got a big break when that putt dropped. You could tell he thought he had missed it.

Draft saved Draft deleted