1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PGA Championship

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Aug 7, 2013.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Webb Simpson put up a pretty good one today -- tied Ben Hogan's course-record 64.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

So that's two 65s (Scott, Furyk) and a 64 and the second round isn't even half over yet.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Isn't there a major golf championship going on this week? I could have sworn I heard that somewhere.

Oh, yeah, and that Dufner guy just shot a freakin' 63.

4. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Feeling good about that Duffner pick, and blatantly ignoring that I sort of switched to Jason Day after Rd. 1.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Thing is, he's only up one because everyone not named Tiger or Phil is shooting the lights out. Furyk is a couple of pars away from going 65-67 for the first two days. Kuchar and Rose both shot 66 and Stenson is about to.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Pine Valley's members wouldn't want the hassle.

I don't understand why the West Coast doesn't get more dates from the PGA, you'd think having prime-time ratings and exposure would be more of a draw. USGA has gone west about every other year -- 2008 Torrey Pines, 2010 Pebble, 2012 Olympic, 2015 Chambers Bay -- but PGA hasn't been since '98 at Sahalee, and none of its next few years' venues are west coast.

7. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Wait, wait, WAIT. WTH? Tiger Woods is the world's greatest golfer (according to the "rankings"), won last week's tourney and shot a 61 doing it. Why isn't he in the lead at the PGA?

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I didn't know golfers won every week.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I like Matt Kuchar's chances.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

One of the puzzling, yet fascinating, things about golf is how guys can play so differently from one week, or one day, to another.

Phil Mickelson shot 78 today and looked like a club pro (+10 through 54 holes). Tiger Woods is 10 shots off the lead.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Phil twice had chips shots from the rough just off the green and hit it completely through the green and off the other side. To paraphrase Paul Harvey: I've always wanted to play golf like Phil Mickelson. Now I do.

Also, a great graphic on CBS: In the five previous majors played at Oak Hill, a total of 10 players finished the tournament under par. Right now, 29 players are under par for this tournament.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I know it isn't supposed to be but the Jack Nicklaus "Tee It Forward" commercial is one of the saddest things I've seen this week.

Draft saved Draft deleted