1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter -- The (Shreveport, Louisiana) Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Aug 7, 2013.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

The Times Media Network in Shreveport, La., is looking for a skillful, energetic and talented sports writer on our award-winning staff. This position will focus mainly on high school sports: There are 21 schools in our main coverage area. The job will also include chipping in on several of our other coverage areas, including college athletics, the NFL (New Orleans Saints, Dallas Cowboys) and Major League Baseball (Texas Rangers). The ideal candidate will be able to develop relationships with coaches, have excellent writing skills (and the ability to write game stories, features and columns) and produce short videos to complement their stories. An aggressive approach and understanding the importance of social media (Twitter, Facebook and blogs) is required. Valid drivers' license and insurance plus safe driving record required. Please attach samples of your work through the application process.

Qualifications:

Applicant should have a bachelor’s degree
    5 years of reporting experience
    2 years covering sports events

The Times Media Network, a Gannett company, is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a drug-free workplace.

https://career4.successfactors.com/career?career_ns=job_listing&company=Gannett&navBarLevel=JOB_SEARCH&rcm_site_locale=en_US&career_job_req_id=20183&selected_lang=en_US&jobAlertController_jobAlertId=&jobAlertController_jobAlertName=&_s.crb=67HLX4A%2bNfcnF4uEoo81MRSXioY%3d

Why are they hiring so quickly after layoffs nationwide at Gannett papers?

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Rumor has it Shreveport jobs are all up for grabs, per the Gannett blog.

3. jmb51879

jmb51879 Member

Because none of those people laid off are sports writers in Shreveport.

4. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I might be a little biased, but there's an incredible publisher there.

5. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Sports reporter Jason Pugh left the newspaper to attend grad school.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20130803/SPORTS04/308030017/Jason-Pugh-An-open-letter-thanks

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I worked with Jason when he was just beginning in the business. Great kid then, fine young man now. I wish him well. Congratulations on taking a big step, Hayson.

7. Ronnie Ramos

Ronnie Ramos New Member

Great sports editor there (Roy Lang) and a fun place to work. Loved my time there.

Draft saved Draft deleted