1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball rules question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Sea Bass, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

So in my ballgame last night, we had the following scenario:

Man on second, nobody out. Batter hits a sinking liner to right field, and though it appears as though the rightfielder traps it, it's ruled a catch.

Thinking it's going to fall in, the runner on second takes off for third and rounds third before realizing the ball was caught and that he's dead to rights. He basically just stops where he is (between third and home).

The right fielder, trying to double the runner off at second, makes a horrible throw and it ends up going out of play up the leftfield line.

Question: What happens to the runner?

2. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

If the runner retraces his step to go back to second, I believe he is safe.

I will of course, be proven wrong shortly ;D

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I put the runner on third.

He gets back safely to second regardless, because he was never put out.

The ball was thrown out of bounds, which gives him one base.

4. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

When a thrown ball goes out of play, the runner is awarded two bases, which would be home.

However, a runner must also complete his required running responsibilities (which is to legally retouch third and second, then to touch third on his way to the plate).

So, he's awarded home, but the defense can appeal him not retouching if he fails to do so.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'll go with dead ball, runner returns to second.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I would think the runner scores as long as he goes back to 2 first. He must retouch 3rd as well.

7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I'm in the retouch third on way to second, then awarded two bases camp.

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

MLB has a rule where if a runner misses first while going to second and the fielder throws the ball out of play, that runner is awarded second, but first must retouch first base then go to second. If he has already touched second, he cannot go back (if I am reading the rule correctly). But it doesn't actually address this scenario. The rule says you get two bases, but doesn't address having to retouch the bases before moving on to home.My guess is since you are being awarded home (based on the rule 7.something paraphrased above), you just need to go back and retouch third and second then return back to home.

9. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. Believe it or not, the runner stayed at second while time was called. When "play" was called, the pitcher stepped off and threw to second to appeal. At which point the runner was called out.

Explanation: because he'd already touched third and the ball went out of play, he lost the ability to go back to second. So the defense was rewarded with an out for making an error. Absolutely none of that made sense to me, which sadly is par for the course for umps in my league.

10. I think the umps probably got in wrong in your league, but honestly, having done a little umpiring myself, that's a really tough and unusual call and expecting anyone but high-level umps to consistently get that right is probably expecting too much.

11. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Whether the umpires got it right depends on the order things happened.
    If the runner had touched third before the ball went into dead-ball territory, he can return. Reason being the defense cannot benefit from it's mistake.
    If the ball went dead and then he touched third, he can't return by rule.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Balls dead before he touched third it shouldn't matter, play is dead. Why can he not return?

Draft saved Draft deleted