1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lantaur, Aug 1, 2013.

1. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

At least 10, including an old friend, at Florida Today.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

How 'bout this?

http://jimromenesko.com/2013/08/01/the-best-story-to-come-out-of-todays-gannett-layoffs/

3. alanpagerules

alanpagerules Member

Layoffs closing in on 200: http://gannettblog.blogspot.com

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'm advised that Nashville folks expect there will be more layoffs in the next few days, in line with totals at some of the other larger Gannett papers.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Lotta good that will do him; the City Paper announced last week it's ceasing publication.

6. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

It looks like my regional group lost 20 people, including a fabulous photog, a tech guy who spoke newsroom English, some veteran news-side copy editors, and a sports reporter.

It appears the Central division papers were the hardest hit this time. However, a friend at the Indy Star said that newsroom was untouched and it looks like Detroit escaped relatively unscathed.

7. I heard 5 at the Des Moines Register. One for certain was a former co-worker.

8. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

The one I heard for sure from there is a sports guy who probably had more bylines than anyone at that fucking place. And from a ridiculously long list of different schools/sports/levels.

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I'm hearing 8 in Jackson and at least 3 in Hattiesburg. Tough day. No such thing as job security in this biz. But we knew that already.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Quite the opposite about Indy's newsroom being untouched, it had some layoffs and the Indy Guild even posted about them.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Apparently the Cincy Enquirer closed its Kentucky edition.

12. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

From the link, this is sad to hear:

Draft saved Draft deleted