1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's a typical pay for freelance work on a single game?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by krmcguire, Jul 19, 2013.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That first example is the top end of the top end of the pay scale.

2. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I'm lucky to get $40 for a high school game in my podunk part of the country.

3. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

At a 20K paper I was SE at, freelancers got $25 per story.

At a 35K paper I freelanced for, I got $100 a story. That was the same amount at a huge metro paper I freelanced for as well.

At the paper I'm at now, a 35Ker, we give $40-50 for freelancers.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

One mid-sized paper I worked at used stringers routinely for college game coverage. Would pay $75-100 for a gamer, notes and/or a followup. That seemed about right if the person had to travel at all. It usually worked out to a 6-7 hour deal to get it all done.

High schools probably pay less, particularly if there is less advance or followup work involved. Just go to the game, write it and be done. Takes maybe 3 1/2 - 4 hours, tops.

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I would say anything between $75 to $150 is normal for a few hours' work -- either covering a game or reporting a feature from a game. I'm much with Mizzou, in that anything less than that, you're probably doing it for the clip if you have to leave your house and report something.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

We give $45.

7. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

I wouldn't dispute that. They pay rather well, expect a lot and have very tight deadlines. I also have a history with them, so I can't confirm they pay all their freelancers the exact same rates.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Maybe they've read your stuff... ;)

9. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

Used to be that trusty freelancers were highly valued SE's and could get work at the drop of the hat ... neither seems to be true anymore ....

10. ringer

ringer Active Member

Who ends up taking the $45 gigs? And how much more time do you have to spend editing compared to a staffer?

11. accguy

accguy Member

Like many, I try not to take less than $100 because it's rarely worth the time.

I would take $75, but it has to be for something that is contained in terms of a timeframe. I have done WNBA games for $75 before as it isn't much more than a 3 hour window (get there 30 before, game lasts less than 2 hrs, hack out a gamer in an hour).

I feel like I need to be making at least $25/hour. Otherwise they are getting way too good of a deal for a gamer in a metro area.

12. leo1

leo1 Active Member

this thread is brutal. i've been out of the journalism business for more than a decade. did a lot of stringing in a major city (one with all four major pro teams) from 2000-2003 and never got less than $100. it ranged from $100 up to about $250. the best rate i ever got was $1/word for an nfl sidebar from the newark star ledger.

it's depressing that in 10+ years the rate for this work has remained stagnant.

Draft saved Draft deleted