1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concerts thread: Best/Worst/Next/Last one you attended?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Machine Head, did you see Dick Dale in Wellfleet on the Cape at the Beachcomber?

2. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

No, it was at a bar in St. Paul. Next to a biker bar we ate at before the show. Won big at pull tabs.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Just got tickets to see Rod Stewart a week from tonight in Las Vegas. As long as he doesn't sing anything less than 35 years old, should be fun.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

He had a pretty good run up until about 1993 ("All for Love" with Sting and Bryan Adams, about as jump-the-shark as you can get with early-1990s ballads) and then dropped off the face of the earth until now.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

First concert I ever saw was Rod Stewart in Toronto in 1978, saw him again a few years later on the Tonight I'm Yours tour. He was terrific live, but again he used to give a shit in those days.

6. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Paul Weller at The Apollo Thursday night.
    My Morning Jacket/Wilco/Bob Dylan Friday night.
    Beck/Wilco/Bob Dylan Saturday night.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

God bless you for being willing to sit through Dylan on consecutive nights.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Hold Steady/Gaslight Anthem last night. The first 9/10s of the night was awesome as both bands put on a good show. Then things got really interesting when, at the beginning of the encore, Brian Fallon was talking about trying to get the crowd to do a singalong. This was the third show they did in NYC this weekend, and Fallon talked about how the Saturday night crowd did a really fun rendition of Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance." So he tried it with our crowd, and it fell flat. Then he made fun of some of the people in the front for acting too cool to sing it. During that time, some people upfront started yelling "Bruce." Fallon told them to knock it off, and that it wasn't going to happen - that he was sick of having to hear that anytime he did a show in the NY/NJ area.

Those people stopped and Fallon went back to trying to pick a song for a singalong. Then a bunch of other people started yelling "Bruce." That really pissed Fallon off and he said that if people didn't knock it off, he'd 'pull an Axl Rose' and they'd just not play anything. Despite that, people started yelling "Bruce" even louder (I was pretty pissed at the fans by that point). Fallon then just said "Fuck it, we'll play our stuff," or something to that effect.

They played four songs, although the last one was "Baba O'Riley," and then Fallon just dropped his guitar and walked off, clearly pissed. He wrote this last night: http://thegaslightanthem.tumblr.com/post/56760955507/7-28-13-tonight-you-have-broken-my-heart#notes.

Also, during the show, he talked about how they'd be going off on their own after this tour to try and find a new beginning with their music. That's kind of what I've been hoping for with their next album, so while it made for a weird vibe at the end of the show, I'm definitely interested to see what comes next for them.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Big fan of The Gaslight Anthem but Fallon only has himself to blame for dumping his Springsteen infatuation over every one of their albums. I really like his Horrible Crows side project, I really hope the guy can find his own voice. The '59 Sound is one of my all-time fave albums (strangely enough, to these ears, the one with the most Boss influence), American Slang and their latest one are light years from that.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Yeah, I agree with the fact that he basically created this bed for himself. But once he made it clear that Springsteen wasn't coming out, and he wasn't playing a cover of his, the crowd should have let it drop. Then again, with most people there being drunk, that's probably an unrealistic expectation.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Agreed, I would be pissed having to sit through that too.

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Going to see Queens of the Stone Age and The Killers on Saturday, then turning around to see Rush on Sunday. Good little weekend lined up, all courtesy of an old college buddy who is a lighting tech with Rush.

Draft saved Draft deleted