1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peter King's new site: The MMQB

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm excited about King's new site.

I get the criticism of King, and I agree that he goes overboard at times, but I really feel like the best insight about the NFL as a whole frequently comes from MMQB.

I'm curious what others think so far...

2. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

I'm looking forward to reading the content. But on first glance, I hate the home page's layout.

3. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the layout either. I've never really liked the SI layout, especially when there are links to crappy, old non-SI stories in places where news should be. That's always a major pet peeve.

4. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

SI.com's content, in general: A-

SI.com's layout, both on desktop and mobile: F+

5. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, it's funny, CBS Sports has the best sports App of any of the major sites, but it's only for the phones. The iPad app is pure shit. No idea why that is.

6. tmr

tmr Member

They probably should've bought the domain name a long time ago. http://www.mmqb.com/tcmmqbnew/tcmmqbnew.rsc

7. Mizzougrad96

Young journalists who want it all immediately should look at someone like Bedard, who paid his dues, worked as a backup and then kicked such major ass when he became the lead guy that he went from Palm Beach to Milwaukee to the Boston Globe to SI in a little more than five years...

Great guy, great reporter. Greg's a friend, but I am so happy for him it's not even funny...

8. Greg's the best.

9. Mizzougrad96

When people ask me, "So, in the Internet age, what still constitutes a scoop these days?" I tell them to google Nick Saban and Greg Bedard.

I don't know if I've ever seen another reporter that far out in front of a story that big (Saban leaving Miami to go to Alabama) where every other news organization is forced to give credit to PB because they don't have a thing on it.

Greg is the best and deserves everything he's gotten.

10. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

It's a good new venture. My only thing — where is the print function button on the taskbar? Share on Facebook, Twitter, email, Google+. No "clean print" option that I can see, like on SI's other stories/main site.

11. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I'm a huge fan of the site, and that's because I could barely stand King before. But I admire his creativity and ambition with this. Absolutely love the innovative story angles and intent on providing various aspects of coverage. I'm not anywhere near a diehard NFL fan, but I'm on that site multiple times throughout the day just for the writing and reporting.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The editor's note about it in SI said Bedard was going to be their Xs and Os guy, the new Dr. Z. That's a tall order. And I have no doubt that he puts in the work and it seems like his opinion is respected, but where did he come by that background? That's the one area that "you never played the game" has always seemed particularly relevant IMO.

Also, how hard do you think the Seahawks are going to be scrubbing Richard Sherman's column before publication?

Draft saved Draft deleted