1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just the fax

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kimronspringle, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Just found this when looking for an email address to submit a nonprofit sports announcement

[​IMG]

All releases must be faxed?!? I guess it saves time from wading through all the spam, but that time is lost in the effort to retype all the releases.

If you need me after I send my fax, I'll be checking my pager then going to the water cooler to talk about the new "Master of my Domain" episode of Seinfeld.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. That is truly nuts.

And it's not like requiring faxes will weed out junk...Fax spam is worse than email spam.

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

What is a nonprofit sports announcement?

4. Sorry. Poorly worded. I meant an announcement for a non-profit youth sports league. Many of the papers in our area run announcements for leagues for free.

“Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way.” Steve Martin

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Something from the WNBA.

6. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I think the only faxes we get on the newsroom machine anymore are spam. Even a couple of long-time hold-out coaches switched over to e-mail this past school year.

The news side still gets faxes from the neighboring county's Sheriff's Department and the hospital, but I think that may be because the managing editor position has changed hands about 5 times in 10 years and they both got tired of trying to figure out if things were getting through to anyone.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

IT can't set up a news@podunkdaily.com account? Not that those don't quickly become spam magnets in their own right.

8. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I think in part because of the many change overs, our version of that (editor@podunkdaily.com) got so overridden with spam as to be useless. One of the previous ME's never deleted an email, so when I first played Interim Managing Editor four or five years ago, I had to delete over 1,500 emails to make it manageable.

It's to the point now where most people just send their emails to me and I forward them.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I can't remember the last time we got a sports fax. The only faxes we get these days are obits. The obit lady is stuck in the 20th century.

Draft saved Draft deleted