1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports page designer, The Oklahoman

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by DownSouthDeskDude, Jul 11, 2013.

1. DownSouthDeskDude

DownSouthDeskDude New Member

Via sports editor Mike Sherman's blog:

The Oklahoman sports department is looking for a designer to join our tight-knit group of award-winning journalists.
    The role would include building the sports front 3-5 times a week and doing a good share of special section design, including working our football section. Our daily, Sunday and special sections are consistent APSE award winners.
    So is our website, NewsOK.com/sports. In fact, we’ve joined the Boston Globe, New York Daily News, New York Times, Washington Post and USA Today as the only sites to earn the top-10 distinction in the top category all three years APSE has judged newspaper websites.
    The ideal candidate is a strong designer across multiple platforms — print and digital — with good news judgment, the ability to self edit and excellent organizational skills . We’re looking for someone who can take a project and make it their own. We love bold design, but we also place a high value on attention to detail.
    Collaboration is important to us. We want someone willing to share ideas and give and take feedback. We work very closely with our writers, photographers and editors, and we like for our designers to provide lots of input and add value to the content.
    The job role is not limited to design. We share in the copy editing and wire editing roles, and handle evening updating for the sports section of NewsOK.com, which with over two million visitors each month is the state’s biggest website.
    Among the perks of the job is the ability to work with a top-notch group of photographers.
    The Oklahoman is a 125,000 daily circulation and 171,000 Sunday circulation newspaper. The Oklahoman’s sports coverage area features two BCS football programs — the University of Oklahoma and Oklahoma State — and the NBA’s Oklahoma City Thunder, all of which come with strong and attentive fan bases that have high standards for their sports section.
    The OKC metro also hosts plenty of high-profile sporting events, including the Women’s College World Series and NCAA men’s and women’s basketball tournament games. In 2014, the NCAA Wrestling Championships and the U.S. Senior Open will come to the area.
    Applicants should send a resume, 6-10 clips (any format will work) and a cover letter to sports editor Mike Sherman at msherman@oklahoman.com or P.O. Box 25125, Oklahoma City, OK 73125.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Worked for Mike at my first job out of college (too) many years ago. Good guy. They'll do well.

3. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Good folks down there. If anyone has questions about Oklahoma, let me know. Of course, I was born and raised here, so outside of disagreeing with just about every politician in office right now, I love the place.

4. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

Like living in Tornado alley? This is your place.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Eh, every place in the world has weather woes. Earthquakes and mudslides in California, hurricanes on the Atlantic seaboard and gulf coast, wildfires throughout the mountain west, flooding in lots of places, blizzards in the northeast and Midwest. Pick your poison. Best you can do is try to enjoy life wherever and hope you aren't terribly unlucky.

6. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Heck of a lot more to Oklahoma than tornadoes, most people just don't take the time to find out.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

This year's been pretty high profile, you have to admit (with sympathies to those families that lost loved ones in all of the OKC tornadoes)... I can certainly say the OKC and Tulsa areas are quite nice, and yes, they may surprise people expecting something else. If a writing position opened up at either paper, I'd certainly go for it.

8. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

This year has definitely been a bad year for tornadoes, but that's part of life on the plains. You get used to it. These years are the exception, though.

9. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

If I could do this job from home or could commute I would dive at this chance. I am way too entrenched where I am though to even try.

10. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Any idea the pay range of this gig?

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Rob Backus got this job - Rob used to work at my paper, in its first version of a sports staff. Got out of newspapers for a bit. Good to see him back in.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Congrats, Robert! (And to the misses for finding a job).

Draft saved Draft deleted