1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Page proofs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Jul 4, 2013.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

We do this and it's not overly time consuming, but it can be annoying.

We get off the floor at 11:30, and we need a dummy proof sent out by 10 at the latest, preferably 9...just to show what is going where, etc. Most of the time nothing is on the page but dummy type and empty holes for pics/infoboxes/score capsules....but at least our SE/ME/EIC can see that we are progressing and if something like a feature that was done early, they can check the hed.

2. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

If someone gets upset that their section is reviewed prior to publication, then they don't have much confidence in their own abilities. If you're good at your job, wouldn't you want a "superior" to see the quality of work you're doing when they have a day off?

3. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I don't think it's a matter of getting upset about the review, only the time that factors into it when the superior isn't all in.

Like if Henry is on the ball, clears out that time at home, gets his proof when the copy editor/slot editor/reporter on duty gets it and gets back comments in a timely manner, well then game on.

But some of the time, editors don't really want to put forth on their end. So the copy desk has to call and call till the editor look at their phone at a loud bar three beers in. Or the editor freaks out and calls for a redesign of the front with 40 minutes to deadline because they misspoke about how they wanted to budget in the daily meeting (I've seen both scenarios). These are where the system can go awry.

But if Henry's system works and not causing any friction/slowdowns, then it seems OK. I think in different situations it can go down a bad path (excessive micromanagement, having to finish extra early to accommodate an overly doting editor who wants to be in bed by 10:30) or be rigged up to compensate for lackluster supporting people, which adds other stresses to the system.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Well, to be reasonable, one would assume HejiraHenry and other sports editors would read the entire section every morning.

5. I'd like to think every employee should not be expected to be tethered to the job and be able to enjoy a day off without checking into work.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

The proofing thing sort of kneecaps the slot editor, though. It can lead to this: I worked with one who was afraid to remake the sports front on the fly without running it by the SE at home. So then you kind of lose faith in your slot, and, worse, you lose five or 10 minutes in the process. That's a lot of wasted time if something big breaks 30 minutes before deadline.

That's not directed at Henry or at any specific paper. But if you have a slot editor, and a good one, everyone needs to have confidence in his or her ability to make the calls anyway. And you can't do that comfortably if you're gun-shy.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Is reading the newspaper every morning the same as being tethered to the job and checking in on work?

8. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

For the sake of discussion - and this is not an attack, so please don't take it as such - you can say you have a lot of confidence in your people all you want.

But if you're still giving a final once-over on 3 or 4 finished pages and checking for things like AP Writethrus or possible headline changes every single night you're not working, that would be evidence to the contrary.

Do you do this when you're on vacation/out for a date night with the wife/taking the kids to see a movie, etc.?

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

This is my thinking. If the SE is the only one who can catch the major fuck-up, then that suggests that the night staff isn't up to the job. And if it's just stuff like "this headline could be slightly better" or "swap these two stories around," then you just bring it up the next day and say, hey, maybe next time think of it this way. In other words, the incremental benefits of the pre-send review don't outweigh the negatives (the SE not being able to enjoy a night off and/or the night crew thinking the SE doesn't believe them to be up to the job).

But I get where the latter could be seen as Monday-morning quarterbacking, too, though if you can't take a bit of constructive criticism, you're in the wrong business anyway.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Isn't that exactly what reviewing the proofs every night is?

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Mistakes ain't pretty, but they build character. Better editors and teamwork, too.

12. I shouldn't have directed my reply to your post. More to the belief that an SE should or needs to see proofs every night.

Draft saved Draft deleted