1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simmons vs. Rivers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PaperClip529, Jun 28, 2013.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Ryan appears about once a week on Kornheiser's radio show. IIRC he said Doc quit on the Celtics or some variation. He wasn't hyperventilating about, but said it matter-of-factly. He did point out that when Doc signed his extension he was well aware of the age and contract status of the players. He also said that Ainge wasn't going to make the same mistake the Celtics made when they let Bird, McHale and Parrish retire in consecutive years and getting nothing for it.

I've been reading and watching Wilbon since he began at the Washington Post. He was their angry young black sports columnist. Not as knee jerk and predictable as Rhoden and not as angry and thoughtful as Ralph Wiley. He was the next generation and his windmills weren't as strikingly obscene.

He's always been a jock sniffer, then a jock licker and when he wrote for Barkley and Jordan he lost his facade of objectivity and became a jock fluffer. Thank goodness PTI didn't become point/counterpoint along racial lines or even player-management lines, but you can usually depend on Wilbon to support a player (or ex-player) or at least minimize or excuse certain behaviors.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wilbon is a jock sniffer, but at least during his columnist days, was one of the hardest-working big time columnists out there...

I think one of the reasons why Simmons connects so well with readers is because he doesn't hide his obvious biases. He is a Boston fan. He worships his Celtics.

I thought one of the most enjoyable things about watching the draft was seeing Simmons react to the Celtics moves. I found it refreshing. Maybe that's just me.

3. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I miss Wiley. One of a kind.

4. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

The problem with Simmons on tv is his voice doesn't project.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'm sorry. Did you say something?

Draft saved Draft deleted