1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mad Men returns. Thumbs up or down?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by brettwatson, Apr 7, 2013.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I think we were supposed to figure out that Joan would be in deep shit if they didn't get Avon after she inserted herself, and she wasn't shown in deep shit at any point, so we should assume she got it.

2. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Hard to imagine Joan being in trouble for very long on this show. She seems to be Weiner's pet. And after Jon Hamm, she is arguably the most publicized and recognized cast member.

3. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

As much as I love the show, Weiner comes off an asshole of the first order. His post-season interviews and recap interviews every year just underscore that. He often assumes we can read his mind. He has that especially confusing notion when it comes to a TV show, the artist's intent matters above all else. That's why Vince Gilligan is so refreshing. He makes a show just as expertly made and seems like a genuinely good person. Like Sorkin with the West Wing, I don't ever see Weiner making another great television show after Mad Men.

He's so full of himself at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if in the Mad Men finale, he comes down on a suspended chair wearing a yellow tuxedo singing Charlie Kelly's song about the show actually being about him all along.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Noticing this more and more.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Sepinwall threw him a softball on this, and W embraced it whole. It's sheer horseshit, but we're just supposed to accept it. Love the show, and make no bones about it, but as we rush towards the final concluding vision, there are substantial portions that are going to be slapdash and sloppy. Saw it the The Sopranos, and will see it, here.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

You are never in deep shit if you screw over Pete.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Never. That would be a betrayal by Weiner, and move it into complete soap opera territory. There has never been a moment of sexual tension between them, established from episode 1. Nor with Joan. Don's a womanizer, but he doesn't look at each woman as a potential romantic partner. He and Peggy are like Liz and Jack from "30 Rock."

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I think there is, or has been, an attraction between Don and Joan. But Joan knows Don is no good for women and deep down Don knows Don is no good for women and he avoids sleeping with women he truly admires and respects (Joan, Peggy, Anna). He wouldn't wish himself on them.

Draft saved Draft deleted