1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mad Men returns. Thumbs up or down?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by brettwatson, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

For a while I thought I'd called it.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You know in a lot of ways Don Draper may be going down, but Dick Whitman seems to be making a comeback. He's going to spend his time off reconnecting with Sally (was I the only one who thought the summons might have been for Sylvia's divorce?) and probably writing a best-selling book, growing a beard and dropping the suit permanently.

1969 stuff
    Led Zepplin's first album
    last Beatles performance/lennon marries Yoko
    Yasser Arafat becomes head of PLO
    First Concorde flight, first 747 flight
    Eisenhower dies
    DeGaulle retires
    First withdrawals from Vietnam
    Chappaquiddick
    Moon Landing
    manson murders
    woodstock
    hurricane camille
    Gaddafi comes to power in libya
    Mets win series
    WalMart incorporates
    First link of what will become the Internet is made (ARPANET)
    Altamont
    Launch of UNIX time

Hell of a year. Really was one of those "bridge" years marking the end of one era and the beginning of another.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

So what does everybody here think of Megan as a character and Jessica Pare as an actress? I read Television Without Pity boards and comments on some reviews and they are just brutal toward her.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Holy shit, they fired Don.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

When Pete got into the car and was about to drive it, I thought he was going to run over Bob Benson.

6. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Loved the finale. Can't wait for next year.

I wonder if we will ever see Megan again. Perhaps Don & Betty reunite? She connects with him like no one else. And it might be the only way to save their daughter.

Here is what Sepinwall thought of the last episode:

@sepinwall: My review of the "Mad Men" season finale http://t.co/SJwysHsXA3

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Also, a Sepinwall post-finale interview with Matt Weiner:

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/mad-men-creator-matthew-weiner-on-dons-confession-bob-bensons-origin-and-more-from-season-6

Includes this:

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Before the finale, I would have probably called this the weakest season. But things really fell into place the last two episodes, particularly the finale. Don finally getting his comeuppance for an entire season's worth of destruction had a lot to do with that. Maybe he's finally hit rock bottom and has a chance to turn things around.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I could totally see Don and Betty getting back together, particularly with Megan on the west coast.

10. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Did I miss something, or did Pete say he was leaving for Los Angles. When did that happen? I thought only one guy (Ted) was going to Los Angeles.

Overall, thought it was a good episode, especially when Don and Sally look at each other at the very end. I think she's old enough to where she understands, and it certainly lets her in on Don's past after claiming her father "never gave her anything." I thought it was a very strong last scene.

Not sure what happens next. With Duck walking off the elevator, it's evident Don never returns to SCP. As far as the season as a whole, it reminded me of Season 4, when Don really fell hard. But him being fired is the kind of motivation he needs to pick himself up.

To be sure, next season is the final one, right?

And on a side note, how many episodes was the season? It seemed to go by rather fast. What happened to TV shows going with 20+ episodes per season? I'm working my way through Friday Night Lights, and the first season is 25. The next is 16 and then its 13 or so the rest of the way. That's lame.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The Don/Sally moment was great, and I think that the phone call from Betty may have been his turning point, particularly when she said that Sally comes from a broken home. Don knows what kind of damage a broken home can do to a child.

With that look, Don and Sally understand each other for the first time. Don seemed to be actually beginning to try to do the right thing in this episode.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I was about to post the same question about Pete? What did Gator and I miss?

Draft saved Draft deleted