1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Four-Color World: The Comic Book Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bradley Guire, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Re: The Dark Knight is done, now is it Superman's turn?

I didn't see "Avengers" but the consensus on several of the fan boards is the destruction depicted in MOS is considerably greater.

IMO it's a result of both Snyder's own smash-and-blast proclivities and also somewhat of a WB overreaction to "Superman Returns," which was trashed by critics for being static and action-free -- this time they decided to go over the top with the action.

2. Re: The Dark Knight is done, now is it Superman's turn?

The one where Superman reversed the rotation of the Earth, which reversed time, to save everyone? That version?

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Having seen both, I agree that the destruction seemed worse in Man of Steel.

Why they felt like they had to turn it into a Michael Bay movie at times, I have no idea.

4. Starman

Not to save everyone: To save Dear Sweet Lois Lane.

Superman rejected the order from Vito Corleone-El that it was FORBIDDEN FORBIDDEN FORBIDDEN for hm to go back and interfere with human history, so he went back to save Dear Sweet Lois from her car going into the crevasse.

All the other tens or hundreds of thousands of people killed or horribly maimed when Luthor's nuclear bomb went off over the San Andreas Fault: fuck you!!

Big Daddy Jor-El said it was FORBIDDEN!! to save you, so go suck eggs!! But Lois Lane's car fell in the crevasse, HELLS YEAH, that's something I am going to fix!!!

WW II, WW I, plague, disaster, misery, JFK killed, MLK killed, Lincoln killed, no no no I can't go back and fix any of that shit because it's FORBIDDEN!!! But Lois Lane's car went in a ditch, that's a whole 'nother story!!!!

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Saw it, liked it but the Mrs didn't and she loved Star Trek, Ironman and Avengers. Until the last few minutes it wasn't as much a Superman movie than it was a Sci-Fi movie.

Too much destruction, and by that I mean there was just too much time taken in destroying shit. It was like they had to top The Avengers.

Lois Lane > Pepper Potts but < Carol Ferris

With all seriousness it did nothing more than set up season 2 nicely.

Superman has the best body of all the comic book super heroes. Captain America is #2 but not close.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

C'mon, Starman. It's been well established that Superman is a dick.

http://superdickery.tumblr.com

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

I think that could be taken care of as an asides in whatever JL film they make. The important bit is they have a Superman established with appeal to modern audiences.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Batman would be useless against Zod and crew and he was in Gotham/NYC and Superman was in Metropolis/Chicago.
    Aquaman is useless on Land and in space.

But the Green Lantern would have been useful. was krypton part of the Lantern Corp?

9. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

The site you linked to had a bit different numbers than what you mentioned)

A lot of the stuff in Man of Steel you can easily overlook. He was facing a threat that was literally going to end the world. It's not realistic if there isn't stupid amounts of damage in that sort of event. I will also add that it doesn't seem like the simulations the experts ran accounted for people evacuating. They compared it to a nuke going off (without the fallout), but you don't have warning when that happens. People in Metropolis had some warning.

I think it's definitely something they should address in the sequel - and there are a couple ways they could do it.

10. Starman

Metropolis had little if any "warning."

Zod arrives and makes his worldwide broadcast warning Terrans to turn over Kal-El within 24 hours "or this planet will face the consequences." He didn't say, "turn him over in 24 hours or we will nuke Metropolis off the map." He didn't announce any specific target so there would be no particular sense in evacuating Metropolis (or any other individual city).

Civil defense officials will always tell you -- and we found out in incidents like Katrina -- that evacuating a multi-million urban population center would take days or weeks, not hours.

Plus Metropolis is depicted to be generally compable to NYC which would mean there was plenty of residential construction within the central city areas. I find it unlikely to believe the city would have been anything more than just marginally evacuated.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Up next is a Superman/Batman team-up. Sounds like it's a full-on movie, too, and not just a cameo at the end or Nick credits scene to set up "Justice League."
    Giddyup.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/batman-set-join-superman-man-steel-sequel-2015-180719840.html

12. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Ha, forgot I started this one. I thought it was good, but not great. I still like "The Dark Knight" the best.

As for a team up, well ... George Miller got as far as casting, a script, and costume tests a decade ago before the project fell apart in pre-production and before a single frame of film was exposed ... so Superman/Batman? I'll believe it when I see it.

Draft saved Draft deleted