1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Show some respect: don't type near the mic

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by johngregory, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

No. It isn't. That statement is ignorant.

Your solution -- not the solution -- could impede his job if he misses something. Obviously these coaches don't speak loud enough or clearly enough if you are picking up keyboard clicks 8-10 feet away. I can't imagine how the TV and radio folks are getting anything in a locker room or in a media scrum if this is the case.

2. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I'm not saying it's the weakest complaint voiced on here, but it's top 10. Who else requires this level of silence to do their jobs, aside from maybe Tiger?

3. johngregory

johngregory New Member

There are PA speakers for the coach's mic. In fact, most print reporters hold their recorders up to the PA speakers. Everyone can hear the coach, that's not an issue.

For the radio and TV people, we're plugged in directly into the mult box. THAT'S where you can clearly hear the distracting typing sound in the background. If the coach's level a bit low, you can add some gain, but that's also going to pump the typing. I'm not going to complain about loud background noise in the locker room-that's going to happen. But in the coach's presser, it shouldn't.

I was trying to have an actual discussion about why this writer felt justified in his position. Instead, most of you have turned it into "let's bash the radio guy."

For example:
    First: What does this have to do with anything being discussed?

Second: Am I supposed to answer for an entire medium? No radio guy with half a brain would read verbatim out of a newspaper. I certainly never have and never would. But since I work in same industry, I must be evil, right?

Please lock this thread. I was trying to have a reasonable discussion. Clearly that's not welcome here.

4. beanpole

beanpole Member

You asked if the newspaper reporters were in the right and now you want to lock the thread because you don't like the answer?

Too bad, Johnny. Get some thicker skin.

5. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

No, he's right. Many posters here can't wait to bash anyone in TV or radio. It's been proven repeatedly, across myriad threads. Many of those in print are completely full of themselves. You people haven't cornered the market on professionalism, yet many here act as if that's the case.

6. johngregory

johngregory New Member

Reason, thy name is Uncle Ruckus. Thank you.

7. Uncle Ruckus as in sellout? IJS.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

For years you could hear the in-box PA too.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's ambient noise, in a sense. A product of the environment. Sometimes it's hard to hear players in the post-game lockerroom scrum because other players are hooting and hollering. What'cha gonna do? You can't sterilize your surroundings in this biz on deadline.

10. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

OK, I've been reading this thread and kinda have been on both sides. I get the idea that it's a problem, but I think there are other solutions than making the writer move. Maybe he prefers sitting in front so he can ask questions more readily or be heard better. There are plenty of legitimate, work-related reasons for it. And, sure, maybe he just wants it because he's been around forever and thinks he deserves it.

At one point, I wondered if maybe the media relations folks could ask the coaches to speak up or work with them to use one of the clip-on microphones that was mentioned earlier. Surely a mic like that could be set up to feed into the mult box. And it could eliminate the typing problem. You know they have them for the coach's shows that they do. They'd just need to use that technology in a different setting.

But I have to say, to ask a question and then ask for the thread to be locked when you don't like the answers is pretty lame. Makes it look like you expected pats on the back and when you didn't get them you wanted to take your ball and go home.

11. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Yes, writers never have conversations in the box or media room that might distract others. Couldn't even imagine such a thing possibly occurring. You bet.

Or, you know, we could acknowledge that there are rude people from every medium and it would be better if their behavior was more polite. But why do that when you can spew stereotypes?

12. johngregory

johngregory New Member

What I expected is a reasonable discussion about allowing reporters across different mediums to do their work properly in these postgame environments. For the most part, this board has responded with childish insults from print journalists who wanted to air their grievances towards radio and television reporters. That's not a conversation worth having.

Again, my mistake, I assumed this board was for sports journalists.

Draft saved Draft deleted