1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Show some respect: don't type near the mic

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by johngregory, Jun 7, 2013.

1. johngregory

johngregory New Member

I didn't go to media relations, that was someone else. Could someone have politely approached him? Probably, but being one of the younger reporters who doesn't know the guy on any level, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that. Considering how he acted towards media relations, it wouldn't gone over well.

But yes, the other radio and TV people likely could have handled it differently.

It's really a question of majority rules. As it was, his keyboard clicking was showing up on the audio for half-a-dozen radio stations, as well as local and national TV. The solution doesn't impede him from doing his job in the slightest, and solves our problem completely.

I can't imagine a reason that he HAD to be front-row center for these pressers. His justification seemed to be built on ego.

A good suggestion, but like another poster said, not possible with a pro coach.

2. johngregory

johngregory New Member

3. I have trouble hearing the player, and it's not because of the typing.

4. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

This is a bad thread. Perpetuates bad stereotypes, like how print guys type, and non-print guys complain.

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

But in a press conference, how close to the mics is your guy?
    I'm going off my experience. I sit front row and type and talk. I'm eight feet from the podium. The TV guys put their mics up on the podium and I've never heard anything close to as loud as that example. In fact, the mics only pick up the sound if there's a long pause.
    I just find it hard to believe that a pro press conference room is set up tighter than the D-I school I covered.

6. sportsed

sportsed Member

This doesn't necessarily apply in a news conference environment, but more so during phone interviews: I learned early on that media-savvy sources took note of when I was typing and when I wasn't, and that they'd suddenly change course to steer away from controversy when the clickety-clack of the keyboard started immediately after a juicy quote was uttered. To cure that, I'd have a notepad handy to jot down certain prime quotes.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Does doing your own reporting work matter to a radio or TV guy as well?

I've heard radio guys reading stories verbatim out of a newspaper. And they didn't even try to hide it. You could hear the newspaper rustling as they were reading it on the newscast. And no they didn't credit the paper either.

8. beanpole

beanpole Member

If I'm the print guy, there's no way in hell that I move. These coaches are low talkers and I've gotta be as close as possible to make sure I get the quotes and do my job. And if any of these radio and TV types ever horned in when I was trying to get an exclusive quote, then I've got no qualms in telling them to pound sand.

9. TopSpin

TopSpin Member

Shorthand is a lost art. In the meantime, can't we all just get along?

10. I wouldn't have moved. The TV and radio clowns (especially photogs and cameramen) who think it's social hour in the media room while others are trying to work don't shut the eff up. A little typing is far more tolerable than loud cell convos, giggling and other stupid random conversations held during the time that digital and print reporters are trying to transcribe/work.

11. Lemme also add: "In Chicago..."

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'm both. I type, and I complain. Sometimes it's the other way around.

Draft saved Draft deleted