1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Show some respect: don't type near the mic

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by johngregory, Jun 7, 2013.

1. johngregory

johngregory New Member

I was bit curious if anyone here has had this same problem, or is guilty of the same practice:

I'm currently a radio reporter in Chicago. For covering the Bulls and Blackhawks, there's been a constant problem during this season. A local newspaper beat writer parks himself front-row center for the postgame presser with his laptop handy, typing out the responses.

Problem is, this guy is so close that his frantic typing is picked up by the mic. Since both coaches-Tom Thibodeau and Joel Quenneville-tend to get their voices low in those pressers, that typing noise isn't drowned out, and can be very distracting on the audio cuts.

The rest of the radio and TV people finally got fed up enough to approach Media Relations and ask for them to put a stop to it. The beat writer was apparently very insistent that sitting directly in front of the coaches with his laptop was essential for a man of his stature in the local media world. Only when a radio pro (who's experience outweighed his by several decades) confronted him did he move two rows back and to the side, thus rendering our audio free of keyboard clicks.

Now, I've seen this problem before when cutting up audio from the Fighting Illini. In that scenario, it wasn't at the podium, but rather a post-practice "gangbang" type interview. The reporter was actually standing directly behind the player, holding his laptop on his forearm, typing away. The clicking was so loud it rendered the audio useless.

So, in conclusion, I have a request and a question.

1. Please, please, please, respect the fact that audio quality does matter to radio and TV reporters. That goes for a lot more than keyboard clicks.
    2. Do you feel these two newspaper reporters are in the right in this situation?

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

What do you mean, "right"? It's their way of taking notes. What's there to be right or wrong about?

I type a lot faster than I write, so I can see how it would be useful. I wouldn't want to lug my laptop around, though. But man, doing that would have saved me a whole lot of time.

Whether or not it's rude to do it when it interferes with your work is a different question than if it's "right" or not.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Can you clip a unidirectional mic on the coach's shirt? That worked magic for me with a major college football coach.

4. sportsed

sportsed Member

It's no more right or wrong than when radio and TV folk wind their arms around my head to position their microphones under the noses of athletes in the locker room. Don't think nary a one of them would have moved back two rows and to the side if they had been asked. Just sayin'.

5. johngregory

johngregory New Member

That would be us trying to get clear audio from the player-which is my job. I will admit that I avoid doing that, because in the case of a big pile-up, I can get the audio from someone else and avoid being rude like you described. Other radio and TV people clearly have a different philosophy.

However, the newspaper reporter moving back 2 rows doesn't prevent him from doing his job, and he can still get type away without it interfering with the work of anyone else.

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Did the reporter get there first?

7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Want better audio, sit closer.
    First come, first serve.
    Stop crying.

8. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Does it matter? His stubbornness and equipment is damaging the audio for people who need it. The guy can sit a row or two back and it doesn't affect his ability to type.

Christ. Some of you people automatically jump up the ass of anyone not in print.

9. sportsed

sportsed Member

Was only pointing out what print/digital reporters go through on a daily basis. It happens. And sometimes feelings get hurt. But I think everyone tries to be respectful of each other who's just trying to do their jobs.

10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I've worked 10-15 years in radio/TV among my 10 years in print.
    My stance stands.

11. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

In my experience, the TV/radio guy sticking a mic in front of someone's face, or hitting someone with a camera in the head, or making some unreasonable request of a print guy moving out of the way FAR outweighs something like this, which is why you're getting the responses you are.

I'm not saying the guy couldn't move to the end of the row instead of the middle or otherwise accommodate -- which seems reasonable and could be asked -- but if you're wondering why "print people" jump up your ass, as you say, it's because most of the time (all of the time?) they're not accorded similar respect for doing their jobs by every idiot with an audio/video device looking to cram his grubby little hand to the front of the scrum.

12. baddecision

baddecision Active Member

Next time I see you wincing because this beat writer is typing into a laptop, I believe I will stick a mic in your face and say "you just had your audio ruined. How does it feel?"

Draft saved Draft deleted