1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

computer-generated story gone horribly bad?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by txsportsscribe, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Reads like a cricket story on an Indian website.

2. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

So that's where he's going now that he's not on Idol anymore!

This is up there with "All your base, they belong to us."

Steamer coaching. Struggling Poteet module. Assisting us turn men. Third propagandize in Mesquite ISD. Where do you start? Awesome.

3. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

The other recent stories are pretty good, too.

Recent Article:

Bagpipers intersect on Houston to respect depressed firefighters
    Nominate Woodlands Online for Great Day Houston’s prohibited list
    In Texas, a churned legislative event for immature cars
    Texas law preps for ACA with new business distance criteria
    EPA says Texas has large H2O needs
    Texas Petro Index shows fortitude , medium growth
    Dispute halts Texas LULAC elections
    Report: Obama’s pre-K devise could move Texas $308 million
    Texas seen final in voting
    Adrian Beltre (hamstring) hold out vs. Red Sox

4. Writer33

Writer33 Member

I'm reminded of a single sentence in a National Lampoon magazine from about 100 years ago:

And few fold rifles is why.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

more computer-generated fun:

The hearing justice denied an eccentric propagandize district’s fit for outline visualisation in this fit alleging sex and national-origin discrimination. A masculine worker who worked during a opposite location, had a opposite supervisor, opposite pursuit duties, and opposite purported bungle was not likewise situated. The hearing court’s sequence is topsy-turvy as to a sex taste claim, and that apportionment of a box is dismissed. The sequence is endorsed and remanded as to a explain of national-origin discrimination.

6. Untitled

Untitled New Member

I had a story of mine a few years back end up being copied and screwed around with like this before. But they cut the byline AND didn't bother to credit the source of the material.

It's like they use some kind of synonym generator to pawn off the material as theirs, only much, much worse than the original content.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Johnny Ringo will be glad to know he's a maestro manager.

Both of Mesquite Poteet's diversions were against Frisco.

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

So a quick take form someone who knows more about computers than I do: that site is basically a scam site to generate revenue. As he explains it (I'd post what he told me in gchat here, but the formatting's awful), is that basically they create userbots - fake users - that "click" on the ad slots on the site. So they can make it look like they get 100,000 hits a day when no actual humans visit the site.

They just have a program that crawls for content then (likely) just runs it through google translate a couple times to make it different. (He says: "they could have made a synonym program, but I don't know why you would. Google translate's a lot easier.") They only bother to do that so if an internet ad company investigates them, they actually look like they generate content.

Apparently it's a fairly common thing. (He says www.womenshealthbase.com does the same basic thing with content from the NIH site)

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

And apparently whoever does this does it a lot:
    (I'm sure this list is 50 long if you bothered to look)

http://www.mtnewsfeed.com/

http://www.canewsfeed.com/

http://www.vtnewsfeed.com/

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Was Jackson called a Friday? Is that a racist remark?

Draft saved Draft deleted