1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best burger you've ever had

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Any of BBP's burgers, crunchified, plus fries and a chocolate shake is a terrific treat.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This is spot-on. First time I ever has Fuddrucker's was in about 1985. I was in heaven. The fixin's bar was outstanding, as was the burger. There is still one in Orlando that I hit every now and then when I visit and it is not even in the same hemisphere as it was 25 years ago. And I thought everyone knew the cheese sauce was for the fries?!

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Side story. I was covering an NBA team in the mid-late 80s. Their trainer recommended Fuddrucker's stock to a number of people and while the franchise was growing the stock never did that well. He took some ribbing from a number of folks. I don't think too many people followed his advice and lost money, but it was the source of a lot of joking. And he was a pretty surly guy to begin with.

4. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

The Nook in St. Paul. Their Paul Molitor juicy lucy is amazing.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I think I average a visit to In N Out Burger once a week, so I reckon I made my 100th visit yesterday.

6. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Kenosha in Breckenridge has a great burger, as does Empire Burger. But a few weeks ago I had one at Killer Burger outside of Portland and it wasn't horrible for what I believed was a chain.

7. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Fat Guy's in Tulsa. Peanut butter bacon burger, Thai style (pineapple, jalapenos, cilantro). I was skeptical but had heard good things so I tried it. Simply amazing.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I can now report that Bobby's Burger Palace is legit. No lettuce, but they cook your burger to order and have about 10 different ones to choose from. I went with the Philly Burger (hot peppers, grilled onions, prov cheese). Oh, and they had Anchor Steam for $3.50.

Two burgers, one order of fries (plenty for two people), a soda, and a beer for $23. Tad pricey, but definitely worth it.

9. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

If ever in Pittsburgh, Tessaro's and Burgatory are HIGHLY recommended.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I checked all 11 pages to be sure I wasn't d_bing myself.

If you ever have any reason to pass through Harrisburg, we have one.

[​IMG]

The Jackson House is a hole in the wall tucked in between row houses on a back city street. They're only open from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. weekdays. Single-file line through the place to the kitchen in the back, where they take your order, very Soup Nazi-like. You need to know what you want when you get to the front.

They have the best burgers, best subs and best cheesesteaks in the vicinity.

But the burger is something really special. They get their meat fresh every morning, and they get their bread shipped in from South Philly each morning. It falls apart as you're eating it, it's so juicy. It really defines the difference between fast food and a real burger.

11. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

I have a buddy from Lancaster who has to work in Harrisburg every once in a while. I'll pass that along.

I'm in Syracuse now, and the other night I stopped at a place called the Blarney Stone before my softball game. Reputed to have great burgers, and you can't beat the price: $4 for a cheeseburger. I was expecting it to be on the small size for that price, but it would hold its own with just about any burger that costs twice as much. Thick, juicy and delicious. Going to make it a regular stop when I'm playing out that way.

12. SURFCAV

SURFCAV Member

In California, get the double double "Animal style" at IN-N Out. In Texas Whataburger is best. But Five guys is making inroads here so if you have the extra coinage, it's worth it.

Draft saved Draft deleted