1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writing test after applying for a job

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HH1989, May 21, 2013.

1. HH1989

HH1989 New Member

Recently applied for a digital writer position with a sports team. Got an email saying they would like me to move to the second step of the process, a writing test. Said I should get an email next week with instructions for a 24-hour timed writing test.

Anybody have any experience with something along these lines? What do you think I should expect? How many applicants do you think will take part in the "second step" of the process?

Might be a longshot, but I wanted to throw those questions out there to see if anybody has any advice or information that could help me out. Thanks!

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I covered a press conference and wrote a story for the next day's paper during the interview process for my last newspaper job about 30 years ago. I think they just wanted to see how much editing my clips had undergone and how I performed on sort of a deadline. Had no problem with it, it helped me get the job.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I had to take timed editing test when I applied to do online freelance editing. And writing tests when I applied for some on-the-side online writing.

I think it's pretty standard in the digital realm.

4. HH1989

HH1989 New Member

In your experience, how many people would you guess are asked to participate in the writing test?

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

When I interviewed at The Motley Fool in 2008 (I think), they gave me a writing test. Well, an editing test. They e-mailed me a 5-page article and had me mark it up. Apparently, I did well enough to get invited in for an in-person interview. Apparently, I didn't do well enough there to get the job. Thankfully, as it turns out.

6. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I've done a little technical writing (one short-term contract, and I interviewed for and was offered another contract job in that field that the timing just didn't end up being right for me to take), and both times I had to take a writing and editing test during the interview process. For the job I actually worked, I was on a team of a half-dozen or so people who'd been brought on for the project, and all of us had taken the same test. Both tests I had to take were timed, and they stuck me in a room with samples they wanted me to edit, and raw information they wanted me to translate into readable articles.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah. I went through something like that with another job interview a few years ago. For a technical writer at some fancy IT company. They sat me down in front of the computer, opened the document and had me edit it in 15 minutes. I didn't understand a single thing on the screen.

So that went well....

8. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

I applied for a gig once and they sent me a writing test. They sent me three stories that needed editing/rewriting. Pretty cut and dry.

I applied for another gig recently and they sent me a list of about 50 words (some were misspelled), and I had to correct the wrong ones (honor system). They also sent me about 30 paragraphs which needed to be proofread and sent back.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Depends on the job.

If it's an online gig where they may hire dozens of writers/editors they may give the test to everyone who meets the basic qualifications.

If it's for a single opening, I doubt they would ask for me than a handful to take the test. The person(s) making the decision won't want to wade through dozens of them to hire one person.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Been asked to do both writing and editing tests before as part of application process. Never encountered anything that I wouldn't expect to encounter as part of the actual job applied for.

11. awriter

awriter Active Member

My current employer had me cover a game where I was working at the time and email a running game story at the gun, then come back with an update.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So you were asked to do tryout copy while you were on the clock at another place?

Unless you had the green light from your boss or were freelancing with no deadline issues, I think that was really bad form.

Draft saved Draft deleted