1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Problems at Patch.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Jan 19, 2011.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That just isn't true. The mockery has pretty much hit on everybody in the company.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

100 percent this. Everyone who has found something is probably happier today, but I know folks who took a year or more to find something worthwhile, and a close friend and talented journalist has been looking since late last summer. It is NEVER a good thing. All the best to you sg.

3. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

Once again, it is not about "finding something". It's about reinventing yourself. It's about going back to school and pursuing a new career.

After being laid off, I, for example, coached high school football and baseball as a volunteer assistant while applying for teacher credentialing programs. Then I spent a year substitute teaching while being credentialed before becoming a high school physical education teacher.

Other former journalists I know went back to school to pursue other careers. Being laid off got the wheels to start turning for me to start anew, and I'm so thankful for it every day. Yes, it hurt to lose my job initially, especially since my wife was also unemployed at the time.

I see so many current journalists who are miserable, dealing with all the BS the profession currently features. I also don't know a single ex-journalist who isn't happier post-journalism. I'm certain that in 100% of these cases, it hurt to be forced out. Being through it, I know 100% of the people ended up better for it. I "enjoy" hearing about journalists losing their jobs because I am hoping that this force-out will turn the wheels for them, just like it did for me. And I know they will be happier in the long run because of it.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I understand your point, but this is what we should be focused on right now, since these people are just now losing their jobs. I'm sure it was a stunning time for you, and highly stressful. Sure, most of these people will be better off in the long run, but it doesn't make it easier for them right now. Like I said, several people I know took a looong time to find something else or are still looking, and maybe they WILL be better off. But right now, it sucks. I have seen firsthand the stress a layoff can put on a family, and it is awful.

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Three years ago, I would have killed for one of those jobs.
    Now...probably explains why, even though I've had a rough three years, my blood pressure's good.

6. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

Not sure if this is part of Patch's restructuring but they posted a healthy number of jobs on the journalismjobs.com site this morning (June 22).
    Local editor gigs in Mansfield, MA; Healdsburg, CA; Norwalk, CT; Danville, CA; Mehlville, MS; and Kirkwood, MO.
    Local online sales account execs in Bensalem, PA; Fairfax, VA; Danvers, MA; Boston, MA; Garden City, NY.
    Community editor in Norwalk, CT.
    Field editor in Norwalk, CT.
    Regional publisher in Amonate, VA.

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I've spent all of my 39 years in Virginia and have NEVER heard of Amonate until today. Turns out it's some teeny-tiny place on the West Virginia border, which is interesting because I thought Patch only had a northern Va. presence, and the middle of coal country wouldn't exactly be the first place I'd think an Internet news organization or whatever they are now would think to expand.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

What, you don't think Tazewell County fits with other Patch locations? Billy Wagner and Heath Miller are offended by the assertion.

I wonder if the meant Annandale.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Looks like they have a site for Annandale, but not Amonate. But that's a regional position, so maybe Amonate is the area where they'd like the person in that regional position to be.

10. Jake_Taylor

That would be strange. Amonate is very remote unincorporated town with a population less than 100. It's hours from any other Patch location, so unless AOL is about to start a cluster of sites for the Bluefield micropolitan area it doesn't make much sense to put a regional publisher there.

Then again, Vulture has discovered the town's charms.

http://www.vulture.com/2012/12/setting-les-miz-in-amonate-va-zip-code-24601.html

11. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

It doesn't say much for the town's charm when the page is "not found."

12. Jake_Taylor

Whoops, should work now.

Draft saved Draft deleted