1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Problems at Patch.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Jan 19, 2011.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I won't mention any specifics but at least one of our posters here is gone courtesy of this cut. :(

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yeah, but don't let that stop some of the posters here from enjoying hearing about journalists getting laid off.

A friend of mine was also among those let go. If there was a better, more dedicated journalist in that entire company, I'd be shocked. So as far as I'm concerned, anybody here who thinks this is funny or reason to brag (and I'm sure some of you will) can go take a long walk off a short pier.

As for what Patch is doing, that's a hell of a question. They're in the process of launching a redesigned site and expanding their ad sales staff at the same time they do this, so who the hell knows....

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

More yadda-yadda blah blah.

I want my life improved 27 percent. If you can only make 24.8 percent, forget it.

4. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

That's because being forced out of journalism was the best thing that happened to so many of us, and our hearts go out to all the people who are still toiling in journalism, and dealing with the mind-boggling nonsense that comes with it, while believing that what they do still matters.

Sure, being forced out hurts initially, but in the long run, these people will be so much happier for it. It has been a struggle for us ex-journalists to get current journalists to see and believe this.

5. outofplace

Bullshit. Sorry, but losing your job is not a good thing. Maybe some people make the best of it and do well, but that doesn't mean getting laid off was a positive experience.

6. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

I'm a news-side beat writer who goes head-to-end with Patch in a competitive news town. The Patch reporter and I were talking to a city council candidate before a meeting just the other day about the future of Patch. I said it'll keep going as long as AOL keeps throwing money at it, and the Patch reporter - who used to work in my chain - agreed. I could tell the uncertainty was really on his mind. I feel bad for him because he's a good guy and he just rotated onto our town's beat. Two other former co-workers are at nearby Patch sites, one of whom has two young children (the second is about a month old). I feel horrible for them, too.

Friday's timing would explain why I had a breaking story on my site way before Patch did, and his story had far fewer details than mine.

If Patch goes away, sure I'll have less competition and be under a little less pressure. But three people I really respect will be unemployed.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yes, but he is truly a Patcher for life.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I don't think it's people enjoying hearing about journalists being laid off. It's about the utter stupidity of those who come up with ridiculous statements such as improving communities by 25 percent. Makes you wonder how they got those management jobs in the first place. That's what people on here are mocking.

9. outofplace

Obviously, you haven't read all of the back and forth about Patch around here.

Again, apologies for taking this personally, but no matter how many times it happens in this business, I'm never going to get used to talking to a friend the day they get let go from a job even though they were good at it.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

In every instance, the mockery regarding Patch has had to do with the executives, the ridiculous claims, "Timmy's mommy" turning in copy, the lack of ads, the lack of an overall business plan, the constant changing of direction, etc.

While to content has taken some abuse, as has the cheer leading, optimism of some employees, no one has mocked the hard working journalists who hoped to make a career at Patch, or rooted for their failure.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

On the plus side, I have a lot more time to paint, and to focus on Instagramming pictures of my cat...

I would like to say I'm extremely bitter about it, but eh, I'm oddly calm and fine. I think there are a couple things that lessen the sting, some of which I can't get into, but I will say this - Pretty much everyone I know who worked at Patch either left for a better job, or got hired quickly once they left. While the product put out on various sites is sometimes questionable, I do think it trained me in some skills - video editing, social media management, building up a brand - that I wouldn't have got if I had just stayed at the entry-level reporter position that I was employed in pre-Patch. Right now, it's tough to find those mid-tier, non-executive but non-entry level jobs in journalism.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is very much true, so good for you, SG. Those skills are invaluable -- and really, they are must-haves, and not optional anymore -- these days, and having them will probably stand you in good stead if you're going to remain in this business.

Draft saved Draft deleted