1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No dogs allowed

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, May 10, 2013.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

2. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

The first time I went to Europe, I couldn't believe how ubiquitous dogs were. Then I realized dogs in Europe are trained. They sit or lie at their human's feet, and that's it. For someone like me, who's happy to pet a dog I already know and like but doesn't want to be accosted by ones I don't, it's so much better.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Moddy's going to ban dixiehack.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm not saying you're a bad person if you don't like dogs; you're probably just not a good person.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

http://fb-troublemakers.com/the-best-of-dog-shaming-part-13-9998/

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

We have a marvelous undeveloped park right outside our house that's wonderful for dog walking.

We unleash them, because, well, it's basically a wild forest with a few bike paths, and they're much happier. They can chase deer or rabbits. They never catch anything, of course, but it's still their favorite part of the day. On a typical 45-minute walk we'll see a couple of cyclists on the paths.

Yesterday a couple come up behind us, we step aside, call the dogs to join us by our side, and the bicycles pass without needing to slow down.

"Those dogs should be on a leash!!" one of the cyclists grumbles as he passes.

Why?

Whether we call them off the path or pull them, what's the difference to you? They were off the path when you passed.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Even when I am walking dogs on a leash, joggers often will run up from behind within leash-distance of the dogs instead of taking a wider berth.

I don't get that. If the dogs or I don't know you are coming, you are going to startle the dogs, and they might react aggressively.

8. beanpole

beanpole Member

Some joggers and bikers are amazingly full of themselves and think it's perfectly cool to run red lights and dart out in traffic without looking. It's because they're Exercising, dammit, and they're Better Than You.

So no, they wouldn't think twice at surprising a dog or demanding that dogs be leashed, curbed and shackled when they run by.

9. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

So are some dog owners.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If you're both on the sidewalk, though, that wider berth may take the jogger into the street. Almost never a problem on a quiet residential street, but it could be in a busier place.

11. I thought this thread was going to be about a new rival fantasy sports league.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I thought it was about "Snoopy Come Home".

One of the most depressing cartoons I've ever seen.

Draft saved Draft deleted