1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The car question: Honda Accord? Nissan Altima? Or something else?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by accguy, May 3, 2013.

1. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Mentioned my Malibu earlier in the thread. This mindset is stuck in the 80s- early 90s. American companies have made significant strides in engineering and design, to the point they are in the same ballpark as the Toyotas and Hondas of the world with many models.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

That's at least partially true, I think. American cars are getting better. I don't think they're in the Toyota/Honda class, but they're a hell of a lot closer than they used to be.

Here's the problem. I'm in my mid-40s, and for the vast majority of my life, Detroit has built the shittiest cars they thought they could get away with. German and Japanese automakers could sell the quality of their cars, and the big three mostly marketed through guilt. As a result I've driven German and Japanese cars all my life, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Detroit earned this.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yes.

Yes.

4. joe

joe Active Member

I'll sell you a '98 Mustang Cobra convertible. A little over 100k miles. No reasonable offer refused.

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Their track record is certainly earned. Haven't argued otherwise.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Since about 2004 or so, I have found the American rental cars I have driven to be perfectly satisfactory and sound. Now, of course, rental cars are newer cars, so one doesn't know about longevity, but I would certainly be willing to consider buying one if it suited my family's requirements when it comes time to buy a new car which I hope is not soon.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Some of the lease deals out there seem pretty interesting. I've been seeing those ads for VW sign and drive zero down lease Jetta for $199. That's cheaper than many monthly cell phone bills.

8. accguy

accguy Member

Thanks to everyone who has commented on this.

I'm going to test drive some cars tonight and over the weekend. Probably the Accord, Altima and Mazda 6. I am in the process of getting quotes through Costco. I think I'm going with a car and not the small SUV.

We'll see what happens.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I was car shopping about five years ago and Ford had nothing that interested me. Now they have some really nice cars. They turned around fast when their feet were to the fire.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I get your point, but if I'm buying a new car, I want more than "perfectly satisfactory." It will be a long time before I consider anything but a Honda. I know of nobody who has a bad experience with one. Mine has 125k on it and still is in great shape. If I put that many miles on a Chevy or Ford in 7-plus years I'd bet it would be in the shop at least twice a year.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Since I have 3 car magazine subscriptions, I guess I'm a car guy.

You know the health trend where people live highly calorie-restrictive lives? They live to 105 but eat about one enjoyable meal a year. Who wants to do that? I'm that way with cars...sure your car, if it's less than 4 or 5 years old, almost definitely has another 5 years and another 150,000 - 200,000 miles in it. But who wants to drive a 10 year old car?

So I'm currently in the car market (sold my BMW 335 diesel) and I'm looking to go much less expensive, since my commute is only 12 miles a day. I seriously considered a 2013 Honda Fit but then I rented a 2013 Chevy Sonic. It's the first car designed and built by "Government Motors" since the bankruptcy -- something like 95 percent of it is American-built, by union workers who signed newly competitive contracts.

And guess what? It kicks the Fit's ass (and I love Honda; our other car is a 2012 CR-V). I averaged 31 miles a gallon in city/highway driving, and the amenities are endless (especially compared to the Fit, which has no touch screen, no Bluetooth, and you have to pay extra to get steering wheel audio controls), it doesn't look like everything else on the road and has a huge hatchback that my bike slips right into. ANd the best part? The $18,800 sticker.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Probably someone who would rather pay for vacations to Europe than new car smell. Or someone who simply loves the idea of being able to spend $300+ on a splurge or weekend getaway any month . . . because there's no car payment tying up the budget.

And who still loves the "riding on a cloud" feel this 23-year-old model still provides:

[​IMG]

That kind of weirdo. :D

And in just 4 more months I'll be halfway to 105 years old. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted