1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mad Men returns. Thumbs up or down?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by brettwatson, Apr 7, 2013.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I did mean variety as in number of different women.

2. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

You're surprised that people call Don a bad husband because he cheats on his wife?

That's one of those issues for me that's kind of set in stone. Cheating equals being a bad partner. There's no way to find that gray in that.

There is some leeway in his fatherhood. And his overall goodness as a person. Not as a husband, though. He's a terrible husband all the time.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I don't know why he married her except that he needed a care-taker for his kids.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's fair.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I agree with Brian on the husband part but would take it one step further: When has Don been a good husband?

And while he loves his children, he is not a good father to them. He looks for excuses to avoid seeing them. He leaves them with their stepmother at any chance. He does not protect them very well, allowing Sally to run off numerous times.

Do you think love alone makes someone good at something? He is bad at fatherhood and marriage much more often than he is good.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He's a provider, right?

I know that Don is probably a poor father through the 2013 lens, when fathers, including myself, are very involved. But 1968 is a time when fathers did not change diapers. They did not cook dinner. They did not tuck kids in a night. Don functions as he believes fathers are supposed to function: To love and provide. In fact, I would argue that he does go a step above and beyond the expectations of times by, at times, intervening in some of Betty's bullshit.

7. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I agree that Peggy dresses and looks better, even though I really don't think the fashions are any better. I think she's wearing nicer clothing and taking more care with her appearance as she's matured and grown professionally. However, I don't think Joan looks better because she's better suited (no pun intended) to fashions of the 1950s.

Roger would be much more fun than Don.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Have you seen Jon Hamm in tight pants?

9. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

It is now a requirement for each episode to have the appropriate amount of side boob.

10. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Yes and I'd still go with Roger.

11. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Despicable Pete has become one of the 2-3 most interesting characters on the show.

He showed chutzpah last night in several scenes; taking on Don in the middle of the office, climbing back into his wife's bed, going for it with the bid to go public without telling Don, quasi-hitting on Joan, standing up to his whore-mongering father in law and finally coming clean about said father in law with his soon to be ex-wife.

Quite the night for Pete.

And then there was the comic relief moment when he fell on his ass coming down the stairs.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

After some rough episodes to start the season, that was a great turn for the future.

Trudy is definitely the hottest looking one now although Joan looked much better with her hair down.

I did not realize it was Julia Ormond as Marie; she is definitely French the way she talks to Megan, great advice. I have a hard time even thinking my MIL talks to my wife that way.

Draft saved Draft deleted