1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

North Dakota swimming in oil

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain Obvious, May 1, 2013.

1. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

I don't dismiss them, but they are exaggerated. Like I said, if I was a woman in this town I wouldn't go the bar or even in the area of the bars by myself at night.

Being scared to leave your residence at night is over board. Taking caution and avoiding areas with an abundance of drunk men isn't.

And you damn right attractive!

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, the consensus on this board is that women should stay out of North Dakota, but should have no concerns about moving to Abu Dhabi.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

"consensus of this board"?

WTF does that mean?

This board has only had a consensus on one thing in its entire history, and that's that no one gives a fuck about anyone's fantasy teams.

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Really? On both threads I've maintained women should be fine in both places. And, while I've never lived in Abu Dhabi, I've lived in Morocco, and, like I said on that thread, it's certainly doable for women. My assertion has been that Abu Dhabi would be fine, too.

I live in ND now, and even though I'm two hours east of Williston so my firsthand knowledge of that city is limited, I totally agree with Cubbie that it's fine. Yeah, you shouldn't do anything stupid, but that's a pretty good rule of thumb in Mayberry, too.

My town is also high on the boomtown list, and my big caution is that people coming to find their fortunes line up housing first. We still have over 300 households that are still not back in their homes following the 2011 flood; over 200 of those are renters who have no other place to move to. There's nothing available. Don't move here without housing lined up.

But for women in general, I've seen nothing to indicate it's not safe, and the three women I spoke to a couple weeks ago -- two professionals based in Williston, one in Minot -- completely dismissed the thought that their towns weren't safe.

When I'm out at night here, I'm more paranoid about hitting deer on the way home than anything else. That was never a real threat in Detroit.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That is a true fact. I got a deer between Stanley and Williston three years ago coming home from a basketball game. That was when I found out that using your car on company time for company business doesn't mean the company is responsible for shit like that.

Maybe I'm just reading too much into news reports and such, because I never had a problem when I lived there and neither did Mrs. Stain. The only thing that scared me about the town was having a desk with my back to a big window out to the street. There's a lot of anti-"liberal media" sentiment mixed in with gun culture up there (no different from any other rural area in that regard).

6. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

A state filled with desperate single guys in their late twenties who make $80,000-plus a year?

If they're not doing it yet, why isn't anyone running junkets for single women living in New York?

7. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Two groups destined to find love if they could meet. ;)

Tell the truth: You've been watching Lifetime movies, haven't you?

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Strippers and hookers are run into Northern Alberta on a weekly basis. It's a different type of life up there and it attracts a different type of individual. If you have your head on straight you can set yourself up, if not, you can come back broke with one hell of a habit.

9. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

There are prostitutes every where and they make very good money. The strippers come in from Vegas. Yes, top strippers from Vegas are now coming here because they can make $1500+ a night.

10. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I swear I'm totally straight but... A land full of swarthy oil rig hands, bronzed by the sun, slicked down with sweat and grease, pecs bulging out of their tattered t-shirts (and with $20 bills fluttering casually out of their overstuffed pockets)...? Well, I'm sure that ticks all sorts of boxes.

11. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I've seen a lot of them.

No. No, it doesn't

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

New York City?

$80,000 wouldn't really impress a woman from NYC. Especially a woman interested in money. Especially when paired with North Dakota.

Draft saved Draft deleted