1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tim Hudson: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 1, 2013.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Does James create values in that pitcher rating? Does he assign point value for different things?

Where does this point value come from?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

93, just stop man. Just stop.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Bill+James+Game+Score

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. 93Devil

Game Score is a metric devised by Bill James to determine the strength of a pitcher in any particular baseball game. To determine a starting pitcher's game score:
    Start with 50 points.
    Add one point for each out recorded, so three points for every complete inning pitched.
    Add two points for each inning completed after the fourth.
    Add one point for each strikeout.
    Subtract two points for each hit allowed.
    Subtract four points for each earned run allowed.
    Subtract two points for each unearned run allowed.
    Subtract one point for each walk.

That is called pulling numbers out of thin air, asshole.

Care to be a wise ass and explain how the fuck a earned run is worth 400% more than a walk? Is it by mass? Distance? Volume?

James makes shit up and you treat it like gospel. That's all that is - making shit up.

Would it make you feel better if I a gave a dominant start 7.5363474873 points and a quality start 5.8303093092 points.

Sweet fuck, do you guys suck his shit right out of the bowl.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Sweet fuck suck shit in the same sentence is quality.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It's an honor to be in the presence of leading Bill James critic 93Devil and all, but have you considered that perhaps James' Game Score maybe has been vetted and was just perhaps seen by rival analysts as a reasonable simplification of pitching quality? It's exceedingly simple. It falls on the same scale as high school grading.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

When you walk four batters in a row, that equals one run. It's in the rulebook and everything.

Don't think, 93. You're only hurting the ballclub. :D

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

And yes, Game Score is exceedingly simple. There are flaws to it — most notably, it over-rewards high strikeout totals and your Game Score skyrockets if you go past 9 innings. So you can't reliably compare Joe Oescher pitching 26 innings with, say, Mark Buehrle's perfect game.

But if you want to look for dominance, it's a pretty good place to start.

9. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Drop the mic.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ Devil. You really do believe your made up formula is better than what James has come up with. A man who has studied and watch a thousand times more baseball than you and has been hired by the Red Sox. You and Bodie should grab a couple beers and come up with some more creative stats that would make Bill James look foolish.

11. 93Devil

JC, do you really think I did hundreds of hours of research on that? I don't like giving relative point values to something that can already be measured, so I came up with something different.

I thought it was interesting, and I posted some results. Some people thought it was interesting, gave some thoughts about bullpens affecting current pitchers, and I adjusted the simple formula. That's how measurements and mathematics work. You look at something and adjust it.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

And what do you think James does?

Draft saved Draft deleted