1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mickey Mantle: Cheater

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Uncle.Ruckus, May 3, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Any idea how widespread corked bats were in this era? I feel like it was somewhat widespread, but don't know anything specific.

Also, do corked bats work? I thought it was a bit of a myth that they helped any.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Unless, of course, our regulation of drugs is hysterically wrongheaded. The science indicates so, but "Reefer Madness"-style socialization, and monied interests, keeps the truth that alcohol, caffeine and tobacco are much more potentially addictive than pot, cocaine and Ecstasy well buried. In the case of steroids, the paranoia creators trot out exceptions like Hooton's kid and make it seem like an inevitability for a steroids user, when the vast majority of steroid users live normal lives while using it. And heck, steroids are legally prescribed to millions; so if history is not supposed to be kind to those who used steroids not prescribed to them, it should also take away first-ballot fame recognition to Willie Mays and probably start trashing numerous other players from the 1960s for taking meth not prescribed to them. Now, if we're going to go with the tired argument that it gave an edge, when most everybody was supposedly doing it, thus largely negating any edge, then laser eye surgery should also promptly be banned for big leaguers.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

JERRY: You're sure?

ELAINE: Positive! This chick's playin' with confederate money.

JERRY: Well then, that's it. That's the end of that.

ELAINE: What? Just 'cause of that?

JERRY: Just 'cause of that? It's like finding out Mickey Mantle corked his bat!

4. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Regarding the other questions I posed in the first post, Mantle was enough of a drunk to have likely pissed and shit himself several times during adulthood.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Plus he was probably so drunk he was seeing three balls and a purple baboon being thrown at him. Hitting like he did with that going on takes real talent.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

looking for your definition of cheating. Corking a bat is. Is hitting a batter on purpose? Intimidating a batter to believe he'll be hit?

Because if that is, every pitcher in the hall of fame cheated

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

More and more, I find myself thinking along these same lines. As you said, steroids, in and of themselves, are not dangerous. I've had a steroid shot, my wife has had one, and I daresay most people on this board have had one at one time or another. What is illegal is the use of steroids to enhance athletic performance, and that is mostly because such use is often self-administered, and thus prone to misuse and haphazard supervision, and they are usually obtained by extra-legal means.

Also, where do we draw the line at what substance is banned and what is allowed? Why is this "nutrition supplement" allowed, but that "pain reliever" is banned? Seems like there is a lot of murky water swirling around this question, and I certainly don't have the answers. But I do know that high-level athletes have been looking for any way to get an edge over the competition since the days of the gladiators.

8. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

I read an article about a decade ago that proved they don't help. I'll see if I can find it.

9. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2003/06/how_does_corking_a_bat_help_a_hitter.html

Not the article I read years ago but it has the same info. Bat speed increases but mass decreases which means less distance.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's what I thought I remembered.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

None. Certainly none from Bob Costas. Mickey Mantle is as unjustifiably bulletproof as any athlete in history.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Counting down to when this bat is revealed to be a fraud in 5 ... 4 ... 3 ...

Having had the opportunity to meet a number of shady people deep in the sports memorabilia world, I don't trust ANYTHING like this anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted