1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 NFL draft running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

49ers draft Marcus Lattimore. Perfect place for him to go where he can sit for a year and build his knee up.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I would have much rather seen them go for an inside linebacker or more depth on the line there, but I doubt he'll have much chance to make a fan of anybody unless things go very, very badly. I'm sure the plan is for him to sit and watch behind Roethlisberger and Gradkowski for a couple of years before he even gets into the backup job.

Pittsburgh's draft is just more proof that teams are full of crap when they insist they won'd draft for need. That's exactly what the Steelers are doing this year. If you listed their needs in order before the draft, it would go pretty close to what they have picked so far. Maybe receiver a little higher, but they thought the quality would be there at receiver in the third round but not running back.

I really like the Shamarko Thomas pick in the fourth round even if it did cost them a third-round pick next year.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Anything is an improvement over what they had at backup the past few seasons.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

no doubt. but EVERYONE thought when the bills traded it down to wherever (15?) it was for nassib. and he may have slipped even furthervwhen it was his college coaching taking someone else.... whatever the case, great grab for giants.

lattimore lands in a perfect spot. niners will reshirt him for a year or two and hope he turns into a 'frank gore redux' tale.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

There are a couple teams that expect to contend for the Super Bowl that are pretty thin at qb after their starter. The Falcons could use an experienced back-up, the Bears only have innings-eater Josh McCown, the Patriots are a missed block away from depending on Ryan Mallett, the Ravens have Caleb Hanie and Tyrod Taylor and the Broncos only have Brock Osweiler behind Manning.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

So Les Miles is on the set. Former LSU defensive back Tharold Simon is selected, and after a minute or so of analysis, Rich Eisen mentions that Simon was recently arrested. For background, he was arrested ahead of Tharold Simon Day in Eunice, La., for a verbal altercation with a cop, during which he allegedly said, "I own Eunice," and "I'm gonna buy these projects and you are gonna be mine."

When Eisen said, "Coach, what can you tell us about (the arrest)?" Miles said, "All I know is that it was a parking dispute." Then he made a joke about parking in the wrong spot.

It was a ridiculous exchange.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Worthwhile risk in the fourth round. They're not desperate for a running back immediately.

Curious to see how QB Tyler Wilson will do with the Raiders. It would not shock me to see him beat out Matt Flynn for the starter's job by November (when the team is 2-6 again).

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I wonder how much coin it would take to buy Eunice. I've passed through. Wasn't overly impressed.

9. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

I loved the dude who was getting his lunch interrupted by ESPN.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's why they signed Gradkowski, which tells you just how weak the backup situation has been.

11. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

The Steelers have needs all over the field and don't need to be using mid-round picks on a clipboard holder. It was decent draft up to that point — though I'd have preferred Lacy over Bell — but drafting Landry Jones is a colossal waste.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Just what the Jets need: more pressure on the Jets.

Draft saved Draft deleted