1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody out there using Reuters for sports?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Apr 10, 2013.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

We're taking a look at Reuters as an alternative to AP.

I know the Cedar Rapids paper, roughly our size, recently dropped AP in favor of Reuters. They have a pretty decent sales pitch but I didn't know if any of you have been using them.

Especially curious about their sports agate and photo services.

2. JCT89

JCT89 Active Member

I wouldn't recommend it. Last place I was at had Reuters and it was severely lacking in sports, with more of an international feel to it. If you want to run English soccer stories it will probably come in handy, but I don't see it as a legitimate replacement for AP.

Photos are okay from what I remember. They'll cover most of the big events, but were slow in uploading.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

From the very limited amount of their sports coverage that I've seen on their actual site, I would say that it's sports coverage for a very wide, i.e., not sports-specific, audience. So things like spelling out National Basketball Association, etc.

I can't imagine that Reuters is going to staff a late-season A's-Mariners game, but I could be wrong.

4. slartibartfast

slartibartfast New Member

If your readers are clamoring for soccer and Formula 1 coverage, they're aces. But if you want them to cover a late-season game when your team is 30 games behind, you need to call them and ask them to cover it. You don't turn on the Reuters spigot and have sports spill out. You turn on the Reuters spigot and then reach into it and pull out what you can persuade them to give you.

On the upside, they are aggressive and they understand where they're thin. And they're always hiring, which must mean something.

5. Jeff Wallner

Jeff Wallner Member

Reuters uses Sports Xchange for its sports content. And Sports Xchange is staffing every regular season and postseason MLB game this year.

6. Bill_Bradley

Bill_Bradley Member

The Sports Xchange now staffs every NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, Top 25 basketball and football game, and most NASCAR events.
    Take a look:
    http://www.sportsxchange.com/tsxfiles/

Reuters covers golf and tennis and olympic sports.

As for agate, that comes from another partner client, SDI.
    http://www.sportsdirectinc.com/

TSX has some very good managers and some very hard working editors. And yes I used to work for them, but it would be tough to say a bad word about the organization.

7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Reuters shoots the hell out the games they are at. USA Today went into some sort of partnership with them and if they are at a game (I'm talking MLB, NCAA) you'll have a lot of pictures. Can't speak for the editorial content.

Draft saved Draft deleted