1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer at the Virginian-Pilot

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by SnarkShark, Feb 21, 2013.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

If this gig wasn't 3,000 miles from me, I'd be all over this. Sounds like a great beat.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1471535

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Same here:
    Company: The Virginian-Pilot
    Position:
    Sports Writer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    March 28, 2013
    Job ID: 1471535

Description:

The Virginian-Pilot is seeking a Sports Writer to cover a beat that includes Norfolk State University football and basketball. The successful candidate will write breaking news, features, explanatory and investigative articles, and develop a strong online presence. This person will also serve as a backup writer on high schools and contribute heavily to coverage of the Norfolk Tides.

Minimum Qualifications:

Demonstrated knowledge of high school, college and professional sports.
    Proven ability to be flexible on sports coverage and work collaboratively in a team-first environment.
    Track record of urgency in reporting and writing.
    Precision and clarity in writing, with ability to present complicated information in a way that engages readers.
    Ability to locate and use data to inform stories.
    Track record of uncompromising accuracy.
    Proven ability to meet deadline and manage time.
    Track record of break-it-online mentality. This reporter will be required to post breaking news stories as they happen.
    Working knowledge of social media and how to use it effectively as part of our overall report.

Education/Experience:

Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
    Three (3) years reporting experience at a daily newspaper.
    Experience contributing to online media content.

How to apply:

Go to https://thevirginianpilot-openhire.silkroad.com/epostings/index.cfm?fuseaction=app.jobInfo&version=1&jobid=80
    If that link doesn't work, go to www.thevirginianpilot.com, click on Careers tab, then click on job link in left rail.

About us:

The Virginian-Pilot, based in Norfolk, Va., is a 150,000-circulation daily newspaper serving residents of southeastern Virginia. Owned by Landmark Media Enterprises, The Pilot has won several major journalism awards, including three Pulitzer Prizes.

We're located in Norfolk, Va., on the Chesapeake Bay, about 25 minutes from the Atlantic Ocean. We’ve got mild winters, beautiful summers and terrific crab cakes. Visit us online at www.PilotOnline.com.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Chris Carlson did fine work with this beat. They travel well with Norfolk State and cover the heck out of the MEAC. Good gig you can do a lot with.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

The terrific crab cakes are a big positive. Doumar's, just down the street from the campus, isn't a bad drawing card, either.

5. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

Just heard, good guy David Hall got this gig...

6. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

Where did David work previously?

7. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

Kinston, N.C.

8. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

I was wondering if that was the David Hall I knew when I lived in North Carolina.
    David is a good guy. He worked in Havelock before Kinston and I was working at the New Bern Sun Journal - way back in 2001.

Draft saved Draft deleted