1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

African Money Scams Running Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

These letters always tickle me. Is it at all possible that people fall for them:

Mrs. Tatiana Laurence
    Lot 104, Jacques Avenue,
    01 B.P. 3691 Cocody,
    Abidjan -Ivory Coast

Dear Beloved in Christ

Greeting in the name of our lord Jesus Christ; I am Mrs. Tatiana Laurence from Israel; I am married to Late Mr Phili Daper Laurence from Ivory Coast who died on November 25 2010,during the political crisis.

My late Husband was a Finance Director in Ministry of works and housing before his retirement from service, after his retirement we went into; Real Estate Business also Government building contractor and God was blessing the works of our hands. We were married for years without a child due to my fibroid problem. Since my husbands death I have been diagnosed with esophageal cancer that I hardly move around.

Recently, my Doctor told me that I would not last for next 8 weeks because the cancer has gotten to a very bad stage. When my husband was alive he made a deposit of (2 Million USD)
    Two Million United States Dollars, hoping to use the money to expand our business by buying some construction Machine and equipment before he met his death. Knowing my condition I have decided to donate this money out for charity purposes. Beloved, I want to transfer this money to you, I want you to use at least 85% of this money to help the orphanage homes, poor, sick ones in the hospital, widows, help women with cancer, help in the church of the lord then take the remaining amount to take care of your home because every worker deserve its wages.

I took this decision because I can't take this money to the grave, I don't have any child that will inherit this money, again I and my late husband vowed to use our last wealth to help the less privileged since we have no child, our relatives are wicked and selfish, they tried to frustrate our Christian life and our marriage , because of my present health condition they turned their back on me they thought nothing good will come out from me again since I am very sick and a childless woman, but in all I give thanks to God because he is the creator of everything.

Beloved I don't need telephone communication because of my health condition please reply me through my Email for me to give you other details.Proverbs19:17: He who gives to the poor lends to the lord and the lord will reward such a person for his good work. Beloved let us join hands together to help our Fellow brothers and Sister who are poor, sick and Homeless, so that blessings will be ours portion while Glory goes to the lord our creator. I am waiting for your soonest response. Thanks and God Bless You Yours Loving

Sister in Christ.

Mrs. Tatiana Laurence

2. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Go on Craigslist and respond to a few ads looking to rent apartments in New York, I guarantee at least one will be a missionary who works in Africa and wants you to send money before you get the keys.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This isn't an African scam, but I got a phishing e-mail this morning to a business e-mail address. ... it was a bill for a private jet I supposedly chartered. $22,800. Luckily there was a link for me to click on, to enter more information about myself, because I was really confused about it. I don't remember chartering a private jet for $22,800.

4. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Yeah, I needed a jet for Vegas and didn't have my information handy, so I used yours... sorry 'bout that

5. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Got this email from Olga the other day. It seems she may have fallen for my charms:

You have drawn my attention to a site of acquaintances. I hope, as I shall like you. How I to you in a photo? The truth - pretty? But in a life I more nice!!!
    And as I cheerful, kind, sociable and fluffy! I like to go in for sports, read books, to listen to music. I love winter and summer. I do not love spring and slush.
    If I have interested you, with pleasure I shall tell about myself more in the following letter.
    I wait for the answer

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The one in Veronica Mars was great.

7. Boom_70

Wish I had saved but once received an E mail from Charlie Hayes saying that he was stuck in London with no cash after having his wallet stolen. Needed me to wire money. Obviously not the real Charlie Hayes but got a good laugh.

8. Boom_70

Government of Ghana & ECOWAS Tender
    Office Accra-Ghana

Dear Supplier,

My name is Abbey George . I am a government accredited commission agent, looking for manufacturers in your field, whose products are certified as good quality products. We need different kinds of products that you offer, and you can reach us for effective and efficient business.
    Please furnish us with full details of the standards of your products.

We will appreciate it more, if you give us detailed specification, website, and price lists. Also, we would like to know of your payment terms and the difference when we place a large order. Your prompt and detailed response will be appreciated. I await your prompt response.

Regards,
    Agent:Mr. Abbey George

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That bastard cost Terry Mulholland a perfect game once. Serves him right.

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Got the same one, only mine was from Leanne Martim. And, in meaning to reply to Leanne Martin to warn her she'd been hacked, I accidentally replied. Very clear in my email I was warning her of a scam.

Martim replied immediately, directing me to read the email again and send money. I think my reply to that was "F----ing idiot."

I honestly don't understand how people fall for those.

11. Boom_70

THE UNITED NATION ORGANISATION
    LONDON UNITED KINGDOM
    UNITED NATION PAYMENT APPROVAL
    OFFICE Special Duties/Logistics Department
    FOREIGN CONTRACT/WINNING PAYMENT BUREAU
    Our Ref: GBT /USA/STB Your Ref 25321/imf/us/09/10

UNITED NATION AND EUROPEAN UNION OFFICIAL WINNING PAYMENT VALUED $8,300,000M

UNITED NATION ORGANIZATION AND EUROPEAN UNION ORGANIZATION do hereby give this irrevocable approval order with Release Code: GNC/3480/02/00 in your favor for your contract entitlement/award winning payment with the UNITED NATION to your nominated bank account. Now your new Payment,United nation Approval No;UN5685P,White House Approved No:WH44CV, Reference o.-35460021, Allocation No: 674632 Password No: 339331 , Pin Code No: 55674 and your Certificate of Merit Payment No : 103 , Released Code No: 0763; Immediate Citibank Telex confirmation No: -1114433 ; Secret Code No:XXTN013, Having received these vital payment number , therefore You are qualified now to received and confirm Your payment with the United Nation immediately within the next 72hrs.

As a matter of fact, you are required to Deal and Communicate only with MRS RHODA WILTON, NEW DIRECTOR INTERNATIONAL REMMITTANCE CITIBANK OF UNITED KINGDOM, with the help and monitory team from the CITIBANK OF FEDERAL RESERVE ACCOUNT OFFICE IN US which is our official remitting bank, Committee On Foreign Payment Matters in United Nation, has look up to make sure you receive your fund valued $8.3m. So contact: MRS RHODA WILTON. on Tel:+4470457 61336 FAX +44 871 900 7516

Email: rhodawiltonu@globomail.com for immediate release of your contract/inheritance/Award Winning claim Be informed that you are not allowed to correspond with any person or office anymore, You are required to send her the bellow information for your transfer.

YOU CAN CALL OR SMS +234-8186124696 FOR FUND ORIGINE CONFIRMATION.

1) YOUR FULL NAME:
    2) ADDRESS:
    CITY, STATE:
    3) PHONE:
    4) COMPANY NAME(IF ANY) POSITION AND ADDRESS
    5) BANK DETAILS:
    BANK NAMES:
    ACCOUNT NO:
    ROUTING NO:
    SWIFT CODE :
    BANK ADDRESS:
    6) PROFESSION AND MARITAL STATUS,
    7) COPY OF YOUR INT'L PASSPORT/DRIVERS LICENSE

NOTE: YOUR PERSONAL CONTACT/COMMUNICATIONCODE WITH CITIBANK IS(022),YOU ARE ARE ADVICE TO SEND YOU FULL BANKING INFORMATION TO THE NEW CITIBANK OF LONDON INTERNATIONAL REMMITTANCE DIRECTOR HEADED BY MRS JUDITH RODIN AND MAKE SURE YOU ADHIRE TO HER INSTRUCTIONS,

WITH YOUR NEW PAYMENT CODE FOR RELEASE OF YOUR PAYMENT AND SEND HER ALL YOUR BANKING INFORMATION NOW. CONTACT CODE(002)
    OFFICER: MRS RHODA WILTON
    POSITION: NEW DIRECTOR,INTL,REMMITTANCE CITIBANK LONDON.
    EMAIL: rhodawiltonu@globomail.com TEL: +44 70457 61336 FAX +44 871 900 7516
    MRS RHODA WILTON
    (CHAIRMAN COMMITTE ON FOREIGN CONTRACT/AWARD WINING PAYMENT UNITED NATION AND USA GOVERNMENT).

12. Boom_70

I won !

MASTERCARD/ MICROSOFT INT'L
    SEASONAL/ANNUAL
    INTERNATIONAL MEGA JACKPOT.
    Director: Mr. Chris Monterio

Dear Cash Winner,

You are receiving this e-mail either because you have used our services by way
    of subscription or the services of our co-sponsor and as a frequent internet
    user with a valid e-mail address. You have emerged one out of the ten global
    lucky winners in our just concluded online promotion upon which a
    pre-registration notice was earlier communicated. MasterCard Inc and our
    co-sponsor Microsoft Int'l is pleased to announce to you that a sum of 4.5M GBP
    has been approved and ready for pay out to you. These funds are in cash,
    credited to a valid certified cheque, with a winning Reg. No. #MS97835. Be
    informed that your prize has been insured. You are upon receipt of this
    confirmation directed to immediately contact the MasterCard Payment Office below
    for remittance.

Name: Mr. Seth Eisen
    E-mail: setheisen_claimsunit013@msn.com
    Prize Verification Department.

Contact your assigned personnel above at once with the following claims details;
    1. Full Name: 2. Address: 3. Nationality: 4. Age: 5. Occupation: Nature of Work:
    6. Phone: Fax: 7. State of Origin: Country: 8. Sex: 9. Alternative Email
    Address:

congratulations once again!

Yours sincerely,
    Wilson Darren.
    MasterCard Inc. United Kingdom.

Copyright © 2013 MasterCard Inc UK. NOTE: Your required information above will
    only be used for the stated purpose of assisting you legally to receive your
    prize as announced in this notification letter. Any other distribution, use, or
    release of any of your information to a third party is highly prohibited without
    your consent, to maintain your privacy and personal safety.

Draft saved Draft deleted